Tomatoes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

A wee question for you clever folk! (I did warn you this would continue)! :D

I am on my 3rd sowing of tomatoes - not all, most are fine; but a couple of the beefsteak are not playing. They grow fine but the first leaves up just don't shed the seed casing. If I leave them they just shrivel & die, if I try to pick them off it damages the first leaves & they die. Seed is in date & conditions the same as the other successful ones (& not from China). I don't know if related but 2 of them have also come up with twin stems even though definitely just one seed planted.

I've a couple of ideas like incorrect storage by supplier but never ever had an issue with them before; or the fruit the seeds were taken from where they somehow got contaminated before collecting, but no-one else mentioning problems? They are not F1's. I am currently just re-sowing in the hope for success but I don't think it is going to work. Was my compost contaminated; but the other toms are growing fine although it was a little rough I sieved it?

All ideas welcomed but I have chosen 2 other varieties which I will be sowing alongside as backup - it will be feast or famine at the end though! Cheers in advance!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Try keeping them misted so the trapped seed coat is softened you can then usually tease them off without damage.
retropants
KG Regular

I've had this with peppers before, I'm not sure how to rectify, but the one it happened to this time, I've managed to tease the casing off, I've no idea if it will survive, as the little leaves were half shrivelled and brown inside.
Primrose
KG Regular

I just wonder if there isn't enough moisture in the leaves to give them the strength to grow at a rate fast enough to shed the leaves naturally. But if the compost is sufficiently moist this shouldn't be an issue. Guess misting may help but when this has happened to me with peppers or tomatoes I just nip the seed off once the seedling is strong eniugh to survive the assault.
Mr Fallowfield
KG Regular

If you put a thin layer of sharp sand on top of the compost , after sowing , it will help the seed coat be pulled off the seed leaves as the
seedling emerges.
Westi
KG Regular

The last sow came up without any issues throwing off the seed casing however I do have another twin stem, but already I can see one is fading so fingers crossed it doesn't take the healthy looking one with it. Looks like feast! :)
Westi
JolantaAgata
KG Regular

What's the risk of using aluminum pot when cooking tomatoes?
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome Jolanta,

Copy your post into the cooking tips section. You are likely to get a more specific response.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic