Growing proper watermelons

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

I have acquired some USA watermelon seeds for those long melons, not the ball shaped. One of the guys on the site got them from his son a few years ago & has had some success & kept the seeds of these. Funnily I had bought some as well. Now in my usual way I have been searching & doing my homework to achieve the best results. (Read totally confused)! Immediately I found I overwater them, they like it dry - so far not boding well for success outside in the UK. Immediate thought was in the tunnel, but they don't like high humidity either. They can tolerate high winds when mature but get ragged leaves but not when younger as they don't recover.

When I was young & living outback OZ, they just grew on the chicken pen rake out pile beside the stables next door so shaded all day. Their watering was throwing the odd bucket of water following mopping the floors on them. Factoring in the temp being in shade not sun it would match a good summer here; obvs in the sun was substantially higher & there was no wind.

I will have a go as I've just cleared out my very large compost bin, well not quite, but down from about 5+' to 2' & it's about 7' x 7', but I ran out beds to top up & my back has had enough. I have fixed the fence at the back & used this 2' to bury it to stop rats. It is right beside my neighbours shed so wind proof that side & behind is the hedge row, that pile has been there about 8yrs so well rotted but I will top it up with some 6X flakes to totally spoil them. I have some left over laminate sheets to protect the other side & front from wind & maybe they will add some heat as well.

What would you suggest I put on the top if anything to reduce too much rain, without increasing humidity? I am not expecting success in any form but had nothing planned for that area as didn't expect to empty it all this year so just for fun & the challenge really.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I think it's always worth a try Westi. Sometimes a good season's weather can bring unexpected success although I've never thought of the UK climate as being one conducive for water melons. A couple of years ago, if you remember Elmigo on this forum, I tried growing outdoors some Horned Melon seeds he kindly sent meand although I got some greenery, I didn't get any fruits at all, and that was in a protected south facing border.

Often when you see pictures of water melons growing they seem to be on open sites so must be subjected to some wind but probably not as much as most of the UK and they probably get more sunshine too. Give it a whirl. There's nothing like an unexpected success. But I'd try and give the plants some cover until they've got themselves really well established.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Not sure what would be the best thing, Westi….it looks as if you will have to give it a go and see what happens!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stephen
KG Regular

Westi, if you can spare the space, I know you like a challenge. I would make a frame to support a roof without side from transparent corrugated acrylic sheet. This should keep the temperature up, it will increase the humidity somewhat, particularly in calm weather, but a breeze will help.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Thank you Stephen, I will have some left over acrylic panels from the green house & if not enough could nick the ones from the back where the hedge row is as that will naturally lessen any big breezes, so probably not needed & if I don't enclose the front it will blow through & reduce the humidity. Hopefully it might be a better summer but yep I will give it a go as have the space. I shall report back - you all need a wee laugh now & again! :)

Primrose I have left the odd pm for Elmigo & sent a wee card to his address he sent me when he sent me the passionfruit, but think that was his flat not his new house; so no reply. Shame I liked seeing what he was up too & never realised how hot it got in his area. For some reason I thought the weather would be more like ours.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic