Best uses for comfrey

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Mr Fallowfield
KG Regular

I’m just pondering on the best use of the comfrey on my plot. Having grown a nice sized patch , this year l have mulched with it , activated compost with it , used it as a liquid feed and added to the leaf mould heap,but never had enough comfrey to do any of these properly. ( l can’t really increase the size of my comfrey patch ).
So next season l am considering just using it for one or two of the above ….. but which ?.
retropants
KG Regular

my top two would be liquid feed and add to compost heap :)
Geoff
KG Regular

I don't like the imprecision of comfrey, nettle, etc. concoctions so all my comfrey is used as a compost heap activator. In fact I cut a pile this week. I've been tidying greenhouse and tunnel so I had quite a bit to add to the compost heap so I mixed it up with shredded paper, comfrey, part rotted grass clippings (I have too much to put in the compost as I cut it so I pile some up and blend it in when I haven't got any fresh) and horse droppings. There is somebody nearby who collects them and bags them up to be collected free, just droppings not bedding, not sure why they do it.
Mr Fallowfield
KG Regular

Thank you !
Compost heap it will be , and I’ll try and make more liquid for feeding.
On that subject , as Geoff mentions , l too feel that it is an imprecise and variable brew , even though l get good results with it.
What other feed , liquid or other wise do you guys and gals use on your plots ?
Geoff
KG Regular

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic