Weeding in bed of carrot seedlings

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Thegardnerthatfishes
KG Regular

I have been nervously weeding by hand in a bed of carrot seedlings. Most weeds are easy enough to identify, but there is one that looks very like carrot seedlings, I don't know what it is called. Last evening I think I spotted a difference that makes it easy to identify the weed. If you look closely the stem of the weed seedling has a pink tinge at the top that my carrot seedlings does not have. Am I right or have I pulled the wrong seedlings? Urgent reassurance required. :?
Johnboy
KG Regular

TGTF,
If you mark the end of the rows with sticks and when you sow the seed and when you get into a pickle with telling 'Wheat from Chaff' slimply run a line between the two sticks and that will give you the original sowing line.
You should then be able to discern which is which.
This method can be used with most seeds sown direct.
Hope the helps you.
JB.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

With out seeing what you are praying are the weed seedlings it really is a job to pass comment.
But you will know soon enough if you have chosen the right one to pull up.
Just keep your fingers crossed, and do let us know.
Promise not to laugh if you have got it wrong. :wink:

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
Rubberman
KG Regular

I've seen the same problem. I'm not sure what the weed is but there's loads of the bleedin' stuff in my garden!

A couple of years ago I thought I'd got a magnificent crop of carrots coming through, then realised that they were also amongst the beans, between the sweetcorn, in the flower beds...

The pink tinge is, in my (slightly iffy) opinion, a fairly good guide. I found that leaving them a bit longer did the trick. Being unwanted, they do of course grow better and faster than the carrots! Once they have a couple of sets of leaves, it becomes obvious. Just don't let them get to the flowering stage or you'll be at it for years.

I haven't got rid of them but can cope with managing them. I think the seed gets blown in from neighbours' gardens.

Regards,
Rubberman
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic