Soaker Hose

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

This probably has a simple answer but it is defeating me!

My soaker hose has clogged up holes so missing bits & what is getting out is basically pouring out the viable holes. I tried connecting it to the hose with the end off to flush it through but it made no difference. I also tried putting a pin through what holes I could see but they were bigger than the actual hole that is there so made too much drip & wee floods for some plants. It is fed from the raised water butt so I used a water butt cleaner in that in case there was some algae in it.

It is a Hozelock black hard fabric one. It is 40+ft long & was not the cheapest & I've only had it about 3yrs so not keen on replacing already.
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

These hoses are a problem and don’t really know what he answer is, might be worth putting it back on the mains water, but with the end cap on, to see if the extra pressure works….I have gone along bending the soaker hose too and this sometimes helps…
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stephen
KG Regular

Soaker hose is something I have found to be less useful than it ought to be.
Mine was cheap stuff from Wilko (I think); it seems to be loosely attached crumbled rubber. I had or have two issues, clogging up as you describe and physical fragility. I drilled it with a 1mm drill but will use 2mm next time.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks guys, I will try bending it OH, that might help & I want to attach it to the butt at the other door way, so the front butt is available for watering the front beds as my rotation as put all the I 'need' watering crops that end & it is heavy work lugging the full watering cans the extra 30 foot or so when the tap is in use with a hose queue. I will also try putting on the mains with the plug in, but if things go to the norm the hose will pop from one of the many connector joins in it & I will get my usual drenching!

The guy next door has one of those ultra cheap £ shop plastic green ones - Ron's had it for 5 years now without any issues, unfortunately I can't join them up as the end is just turned over & sort of melted & a bit thick for a hose connector if I cut that off.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic