Blight

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

robo
KG Regular

Once again blight has attached my tomatoes ,I’ve pulled around 30 tomatoes off that are showing signs and discarded them most of my plants are leafless as the first sign of a leaf getting the brown look it’s cut off and put in the incinerator I’ve also sprayed the soil with jeyes fluid to try and kill the spores the tomatoes at present live on to fight this plague I’ve also pulled a lot of tomatoes off and washed them thinking I might just be able to save these for eating ,my question is , I did a quick google search on the most blight resistant tomatoe seeds thinking ahead for next year, one of the seeds that came up was Shirley f1 which is one I am growing at present ,this started me thinking ,it’s probably why my tomatoes are still growing if I kept a couple and used them to get seeds would the plants grown from those seeds be more blight resistant than a new packet
Westi
KG Regular

I can't say whether my experience can be transferred anywhere else but I have a self sown cherry tom, variety not remembered but I got blighted big time about 10+yrs ago as only outside to grow in those days. I let these do their thing & grow if not in the way & every year they have improved. Succumbed later & later initially but now I get the odd blemish but they never turn to mush & grow through it with untouched fruit. This is definitely a fluke for sure (maybe), so most of the under cover big ones are proper resistant bred varieties or get a copper spray when I get a blight warning. Deffo worth the experiment but grow away from the others & the spuds.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic