Lupin Germinating

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

worldor
KG Regular

I have planted Lupin seeds and one or two are already peeping through. Do they have to be put out in to the light immediately they show or if not how much growth should I wait for before putting them in the light? Thanks
Carole B.
KG Regular

They need light now.I sow all my seeds in the light,after all,the covering of compost keeps them in the dark,then when they germinate they don't get leggy if you don't happen to check them at the time they germinate.
worldor
KG Regular

Thank you!!!

Let there be light
Johnboy
KG Regular

As Carole has said the seeds are covered by soil and peep out where they meet the light.
However there are some seeds that do not like the dark and the Campanula family is quite a large group and none of them like the dark. Light is part of their germination process.
JB.
jane E
KG Regular

I am enjoying lupins at the moment that I sowed the year before last - 6 or 7 flower spikes. Tip - When they come through next year stand a plant support over them and let them grow through it. They aren't in danger of flopping then.
Tigger
KG Regular

Don't forget - like Aquilegias - you need to dead head Lupins to keep their true (bred) colours. Otherwise they revert to type - lavender for Lupins, purple for Aquilegias.
worldor
KG Regular

OK thanks. I will try to remember. So much to learn.
Chrissey
KG Regular

Hello

One important thing to remember about lupins- slugs love them- my nice big new seedlings I'd grown all winter & planted out are now stalks with new leaves now just regrowing :cry: I'm sure they will get to be nice plants.

Thanks for the advice about dead heading aqueligias - 1st time growing so will need to dead head.

Regards
Railway Child
KG Regular

I too have had a lot of slug damage on my lupins from seed. I purchased two packs of three lupin corms (I'm not sure they actually are corms, but what I mean are the bare-root bits!) from Morrisons in the hope that they would cover my losses but have been hugely disappointed - only one has come up. :cry:

Re aquilegias reverting to type. I have absolutely loads of these in my garden which are all purple (they came up on their own when I dug over the garden which had been untouched for 10 years) but there is one that grows out of the bank in the lane leading to my house and it is pink! And it has never been dead-headed! What's going on there then?!
Tigger
KG Regular

Goodness knows! There's always one.......
Beccy
KG Regular

I think there must be more than one type they can revert to....

Mine are all purple, but there is a garden locally in which they are all pink. I know he lets them seed them selves then just reduces the numbers to a reasonable amount, exactly the same as I do.
vivie veg
KG Regular

My garden if full of pale pink to deep purple aquilegias and these are left to seed at will.

However they are just single colour and single petalled. I think it's the fancy two coloured ones and double petal varieties that will revert to type.

The original plant should stay the same whether you dead head it or not. It will just be the new self seeded ofspring that will revert to type and will probably be stronger than the fancy variety and out grow it, so killing it off!
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Viv,
I totally agree with you and have been scared to death to put a foot wrong with especially against one who is potentially exceedingly ferocious. :lol:
Dead heading will have no effect on the plant that you are deadheading but will prevent unwanted seedlings which because of the promiscuous habits of both Aquilegia and Lupin very seldom breed true.
I have sown my own seeds of both and just so long as you only want a show of colour it matters very little. If you are after a true bred seed you will have to isolate the plant and make sure that it is not pollinated by Bees or any other insect fot that matter and that is a pain. Be under no illusion some of the plants will breed true but you couldn't send some seed to another gardener with any degree certainty that the seeds you are passing on are what that person has seen in your garden and wants.
JB.
vivie veg
KG Regular

Hi Johnboy,

I was refering to the self seeded plant killing of the slightly less vigorous 'fancy' flowered specimen...It was not an order to commit 'planticide' in your garden.

I tend to leave my flower garden to get on with it's own thing. I have a large spread of yellow loosestrife, aquilegias, forget-me-nots, woundwart, feverfew, wormwood, jacob ladder. They are all left to self seed. I have a few conifers, silverbirchs and acers (pollarded) and climbers for height. Some spring bulbs, two small ponds and a few bushes. All I do is pull up the weeds and dead forget-me-nots. In my garden it's survival of the fittest!
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic