re-using pickling vinegar

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

JohnN
KG Regular

I'm busy pickling beetroot with Sarsons Pickling vinegar, but it can get quite expensive. Is it OK to save the vinegar from the previous year's pots and re-use it, perhaps with a "freshener"? I expect the seasonings in the old vinegar will have lost some of their strength.
sally wright
KG Regular

I would say yes John, BUT with the following provisos; not for long term storage, two months at the most and heat it up to sterilize it before re-use.

Do not forget to mark which jars have been done in this fashion as they should be used first.

I would also investigate making your own spiced vinegars; they can be so much cheaper. Especially if you can get larger quantities of brown vinegar from say a food wholesaler or via your local cafe or pub. I usually get my vinegars in 1 gallon containers from the kitchens where I work and they are almost the same cost as a bottle of the Branded stuff.

I also find Sarsons Pickling vinegar far too strong a flavour for milder veg such as beetroot.

Regards Sally Wright
Geoff
KG Regular

I wouldn't bother. Get your vinegar from Lidl or Aldi, white or brown, 29p pint and add your own spices.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic