Climbing French beans

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

The new leaves on our climbing French beans (Cobra) seem very pale, almost yellow. Could the cause be the rather low temperatures we had lately (13C - 15C daytime) or might there be a trace element missing? The ground was well manured in winter. I have some Epsom salt for magnesium which I could use. Any advice, please?
Stephen
KG Regular

Hi Monika
Our curcubits are suffering similarly and, despite being in heavily manured ground are not flourishing.
I was wondering if I was overwatering them. We have given them some liquid feed with iron & manganese and crossed our fingers.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Same problem here, Monika, I have put it down to the flucturating temperatures....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Cobra are fine in the polytunnel but I took the fleece wrap off the runners (the new hybrids) outside yesterday because I thought they were rather pale so like OH I think it is most likely the weather.
John
KG Regular

Hi Monika
An excellent tonic for anaemic plants is dried blood - available in most garden centres. Its high in nitrogen, contains iron and is fast acting.

Don't overdo any application on beans. If you do you will get a lot of soft lush growth and fewer flowers/beans. I've found that a little on young plants works wonders and really gets them moving.

Regards
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic