Pepper fanatic

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elmigo
KG Regular

Each late winter, ever since I started growing, the windowsills are full of pepper seedlings and I'm always sowing more than the capacity of the growing space! First too early, then exactly on time, and once more too late. Just to make sure I don't miss the season :lol: There are still peppers in the freezer remaining from last year, even after giving away!

I'm no longer using sowing trays either as I have too little trays for all the peppers and like to use them for other crops too. So I'm saving plastic from food packaging to germinate pepper seeds in, it works perfect!

Screenshot_20200130-070319_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200130-070319_Gallery.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 4291 times
Primrose
KG Regular

I haven't started any peppers off yet but you've reminded me to get moving soon as they germinate very slowly.

I too use these plastic food punnets and find them ideal for seed sowing. A tiny hole pierced in the base if necessary ensures drainage if over watered. It's sensible to accumulate a good supply now as here in the UK supermarkets are gradually moving over to cardboard containers to reduce plastic waste or being encouraged to sell more vegetables loose.
Colin2016
KG Regular

"UK supermarkets are gradually moving over to cardboard containers"

Not much sign of this happening in my supermarket yet, how ever could they still be used though maybe planted straight into the ground as loo roll centres are?
Primrose
KG Regular

Our local Sainsbury's now pack their tomatoes in cardboard trays while the local Waitrose still uses plastic ones. If you use cardboard cartons you might have to do a damp test first to see how quickly the base dissolves during the germination and seedling process. I think its composition would have to be more resilient than loo roll material to prevent disintegration fromthe juice of rotten tomatoes in transit etc.
Last edited by Primrose on Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elmigo
KG Regular

May be a good thing to start with the peppers soon. Don't rush, I've always been way too early with pepper sowing. I can never really wait
Colin2016
KG Regular

Sainbury's are trying but have along way to go yet.
Shopping there last year thought great they are ditching plastic bags, so was expecting to see paper one. Nope only for mushrooms alternative was to spend 35p on a netting type reusable bag.

None of the supermarkets seem to grasp the issue on plastic.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Supermarkets here still sell some fruits and vegetables completely wrapped in plastic. It's not like the fruit has a peel to protect it from outside dangers :lol:

The red and yellow bells are also sprouting now, together with the cayennes that appear to be a bit slower aswell...

Red bell peppers
Screenshot_20200202-184743_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200202-184743_Gallery.jpg (491.05 KiB) Viewed 4190 times

Yellow bell peppers
Screenshot_20200202-184754_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200202-184754_Gallery.jpg (642.99 KiB) Viewed 4190 times

Spanish Cayenne
Screenshot_20200202-184929_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200202-184929_Gallery.jpg (525.31 KiB) Viewed 4190 times
Primrose
KG Regular

Elmigo, thwt looks like any awful lot of peppers!
Where are you going to be growing them all, or are some for giving away?. I usually start mine off in individual 3" pots, two seeds to a pot as if i mass sow in a tray I find I always end up with too many plants and can,t bring myself to throw away surplus ones if i can't give them away.
Elmigo
KG Regular

There is always someone who wants a little present. And there is always space, I thought my balcony was full a lot of times! You can't really sow too much, right?
Westi
KG Regular

Well 'No' actually Emigo!

Don't grow too many courgettes (zucchini) - the gift that just keeps giving overwhelms us & everyone else we try to share with eventually, although grateful when first received! They truly do just keep coming & coming until the weather finally defeats them! If you attempt more than 2 plants (I go for one yellow & 1 green & get too many by far), you will be overwhelmed & will need to get another freezer & will deffo get bored senseless trying to find 101 things to do with them!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

i. echo Westi's advice and in a small growing space you really want a variety of seasonal crops. On open ground they spread far and wide and shade out other crops too. .
Elmigo
KG Regular

Good to know about the zucchini, because I would have planted four, five, six... Now I know not to!
Colin2016
KG Regular

"First too early, then exactly on time, and once more too late"

I too am like you grow far too many for my needs then end up giving them away, also cannot bear to get rid of that spindly looking plant that's the challenging one.
Westi
KG Regular

I'm with you there Colin! I like to think of it as my nurturing nature so do try to limp the spindly ones along, (although generally sow again to hedge my bets) & that is the dilemma - sometimes the spindly guys just sit & wait & after a while decide to do what nature intended then I have plant overload which I so planned not to! The courgettes are not included in this - I can squeeze in an extra polite neat plant but not another courgette. Luckily I can just put the extra pot or tray on the table outside the lottie shop & someone else is grateful.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Elmigo, two plants of whatever courgette variety will be more then enough for a household of 2 people. Just keep picking them small and enjoy them at their best. The tiny ones are delicious raw in salads. Even so, I'll bet you'll still end up with n overlooked one somewhere hidden under a leaf which will have developed into a mini marrow!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic