Hurst Greenshaft v. Alderman

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

I am trying to decide which pea variety to sow in a narrow, short bed (approx. 21/2' x 9'), against a west facing house wall. I obviously want to get as many peas as possible from a small site. Hurst Greenshaft have always been my 'go to' variety but would I get many more peas off the much taller Alderman?
Geoff
KG Regular

I was very disappointed when I tried Alderman, I now only grow one large sowing of Greenshaft mainly to freeze.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Alderman can give an amazing crop, Monika but, they do need ideal conditions to do this...too wet or dry, too windy, or if the soil isn't in the best of condition, will all give a poor crop. And if they do dry out, they are prone to mildew and struggle to get over it.
But saying all that, if you do get a good year, they can crop wonderfully!
While Hurst Greenshaft, seem to produce a good crop even if things are against them.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

Geoff and OH, Hurst Greenshaft it will be then. It has always done well for us.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Monika!

I bought a 'garden mag' with flowers & stuff as well today, & they recommended a variety that is lowish & limited leaves so they ripen well! Unfortunately 'Mr' is in the lounge having a Ukulele lesson where the mag is so will report back tomorrow! Didn't totally clock the variety just the pic which caught my attention.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic