The balcony makes room for a garden!

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elmigo
KG Regular

Hi everyone,

We have a huge challenge coming up! We are leaving the balcony building for a real garden. This plot is still on the south side in full sunlight, luckily nothing changes about that, but we also have the neighbours fences creating shadows. This requires a lot more planning, which crops to put where? And besides there are some bushes growing in this garden, left by the previous land owner. They have to be pulled out of the ground with roots and all. In the meantime the winter is coming and if the ground freezes up, which already happened once, it becomes much more difficult to dig into it! Time is causing a bit more pressure for us to get the garden ready before the end of the year, so next year all the new crops can be placed into it. We absolutely do not want to miss out on that, because next year we really want to enjoy our home grown veggies and fruits again.

In the mean time I'll try to post a few updates here and there. Hopefully we can receive some tips from forum professionals in the process and inspire others to co-create a garden too!
Primrose
KG Regular

One thing with neighbours fences throwing shadows. If you want to try growing beans in this location, grow climbing French beans because often, although the small,plants may be in shade, once they grow up the poles Into the sunlight this will make the plants stronger and help them to thrive and fruit.

I have found blackberries and raspberries will grow and fruit, even against a shady Keith facing fence. They will just feuit a little later.

Post some more photos when you have time. I'm sure others on here will have some more thoughts or suggestions.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Thank you! The previous owner did grow blackberries in this garden too. Unfortunately, they are wild blackberries and they spread through the entire plot in no-time. Fortunately, I find wild blackberries to be the most delicious kind.

The tip on the beans is a nice one, I will keep that in mind for sure!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic