GQT - well rotted organic matter

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Aagh, every girl's ideal Christmas present ! Mine anyway !
Westi
KG Regular

Farmer has let me down - no delivery & he is blocking my calls. I'm going to have to buy online! I don't want to use the horse drop offs as too full of wood chips & little manure, but OK for mulching flower beds & raspberries. Anyone got any recommendations? Got my eye on Compost Direct, especially with the one that is manure + soil improver as I've got sandy soil. It will cost more but my soil needs it desperately.
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Westi ,is there no other farmers near you , the one your dealing with sounds like he I giving you the run around
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Robo, I do have another couple I think, but they don't advertise or even name their farm on any signs. Just called the Farmhouse & looks deserted & other has quite a few houses nearby with none identified as farmer or worker by size or signage. I would not just visit any one of them out of the blue, that would be a bit like cold calling, especially as I generally go past on a Sunday & the residents of these are playing with their children. (Well not currently, but been planning to get this for winter covering since Summer). I did hijack a guy on a tractor who slowed down & let us pass & asked & he was pretty evasive. I read into that they have a better market for it as the tractor guy turned into the land with the housed cows - massive & lots of sheds. No idea why the cows are housed but maybe a breeding program?

Anyway my sandy soil needs help quickly & my compost is pretty pants as bins too big to heat up enough to kill weed seeds & invaded by bind weed, but still thankful to my neighbour who built them. Hence going for Plan B & buying in (Xmas pressie from the Mr), but have no knowledge of produced compost except the plastic bag small stuff, some also pants. The council's is not too smart either & full of wood, so they are out of the mix & their heap is supposed to be big & very hot from the blurb on the site.

Oops! Long post - just read desperate as soil in current condition is not going to grow good crops!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

See if you can find a Young Farmers contact - round here they do an annual muck haul for charity. I get a free (well bartered for veg and bedding plants) trailer of muck every March.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Hi Westi, just did a gumtree search and got this "10 ads for manure in Stuff for Sale in Christchurch, Dorset" hope it helps.
Stephen
KG Regular

Good luck Westi.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks Colin! I rang a couple of these from Gumtree but they were horse not cow & from my fence chat with the neighbour he went to look at some & said it was pretty much what we get dropped off at the allotment. I will bite the bullet & give it a try & report back - who know might get lucky, but I'm sure it will be reasonable even if not brilliant!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I don't suppose you have the room, Westi but, I work on a six month system, stack the new stuff, and use the heap that has been stacked for six months....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Ooops sorry Westi , I only use horse so that was prominent in my mind, on a side note what is the advantage of Cow over horse?
peter
KG Regular

Colin2016 wrote:Ooops sorry Westi , I only use horse so that was prominent in my mind, on a side note what is the advantage of Cow over horse?

More dung less bedding.
Dung isn't large pellets, it's sloppy, so you get a better distribution and rot down.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Monika
KG Regular

I far prefer cow manure to horse manure for the same reasons as quoted by Peter. And when we had the allotment, we did just as OH does: we received the fresh cow manure straight from the farm in spring (the winter bedding, in other words), piled it up and covered it with a large black baler sheet until the following winter when it was spread. By that time it had 'matured' considerably.
Stephen
KG Regular

I work on a six month system, stack the new stuff, and use the heap that has been stacked for six months...

Similarly, I leave the pile delivered to stand. In theory, the manure is delivered about now (but the rain has prevented this so far). I'll spread some on spaces I am not using but 50% stays in the pile. A big heap will go under the squash in the spring. Sadly I don't quite have the space to have two piles.

From what I saw of Charles Dowding's set up, he stores a lot of muck for use. His pile was very neat and rectangular and huge!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

It came today, some issues as their grab thingie truck was out of action so a huge rented pallet truck came down & driver did not judge the height & it took down a huge tree branch which wedged between the cabin & trailer bit then the troops rallied down there & sawed it in 1/2 & got it out, then we then had issues with it coming off on a pallet onto a grass surface after a day of rain. Hence it got stuck & is now only inches away from the road but won't cause any issues with the cars passing.

The good news is it is so nice & fine & dark with no bits. My cow manure was old but hay was still present so a perfect mulch to let the worms do their thing over winter, but this has no bits. May have to re-think? Do I throw it on the top like the manure or dig it in? I'm worried digging it in, even if covered the water will leech under & wash it down through the sandy soil to be of no use to the baby plants when transplanted in? Do I move it inside the plot & apply & dig in early Spring?
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Can you spread it on top, Westi, and then cover the bed(s) with black plastic? The worms will do their bit underneath.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic