Podding broad beans

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

Having spent about an hour this morning laboriously podding a large feed bucket full of broad beans, I just wondered how on earth are they podded when grown commercially? Podding peas by machine sounds difficult enough for me, but broad beans?
Primrose
KG Regular

I dont know Monika but perhaps the same person will is know how they stone all those olive and stuff them with little bits of pepper or almonds !
One thing's for sure, it may have looked like a big bucket of beans but I but by they time you'd finished podding them it looked a very small quantity of beans !
Westi
KG Regular

Shame Johnboy isn't on site much now as he probably grows them as being a framer they do diversify & he will know the answer in how that machinery works. My idyllic vision of a family podding peas on the porch in rocking chairs is never going to be a reality & some of those little blighters take some getting out! At least when they are out they are out but I do not like the extra skin on my broad beans so do that task twice - pod them, boil them & then skin them. It takes time but I just love the green bean inside & they keep well - week fresh & longer tray frozen. I love them & throw them in lots of recipes & salads just for the bright green zing you get.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic