Bit of a dilemma

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Diane
KG Regular

I have a very large yellow azalea bush - about 8 foot high and about 5 - 6 foot wide now...looks and smells beautiful in the spring when the blossoms are out. Now growing up and through this huge lump of yellowness are two old fashioned roses. I think they are David Austin's...can't remember the names or whether they are climbing or rambling. They've just bloomed and are now going over. These two roses are massive too - arching right up into the sky and over the top of the azalea. It all looks a bit of a mess tbh and I'd like to reduce the height and shape it up a bit. However, do I prune it all down to size after the azalea has flowered and will this take off all the flowering rose shoots for the
summer? Or do I wait until the autumn and prune everything back - thus removing the following spring's azalea blossom? Decision has to made soon as I can't open the passenger door of the car when I'm parked in the driveway.

Need back up from you all, please, as to which blossom has to be sacrificed. The roses or the azalea? :?
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Monika
KG Regular

Diane, I think I would sacrifice the roses for now. You say they are are going over now, so they will have time to grow new shoots before autumn and those will flower next year. If you cut the azalea, I would think it may take two or three years before it flowers again. However, I stand corrected .......
Geoff
KG Regular

If something needs pruning I'd say prune it and hang the consequences. As they are in the way don't just prune enough for now or you will be blocked in again before you know it, give them a severe seeing to and hope for the best.
Westi
KG Regular

You have to move the roses, but they sound very established but they are also quite robust. Just prune them for now I would try to dig them out later in the year & give them a new home - or totally sacrifice them. Start with option 1 & see if you can get a better peek & access under the azalea later in the year to see if possible to dig & move. If you can't move them properly, sacrifice them as you will only get the graft rose plant popping up!
Westi
Diane
KG Regular

Thank you all - much appreciated.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic