Wild blackberry, Rubus fruticosus "Himalaya"

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elmigo
KG Regular

Just dug out these beauties. I already got the thornless variety from the store but no blackberry tastes as good as the wild blackberry. Nobody wants them in their garden because they spread through the entire bed by their roots underground and they have an awful lot of sharp thorns.

Using some special equipment I managed to get parts of the plant out of the thick clay, cut off parts of the roots and place it in a container. I'll just keep 'em there. They are certainly not container plants, as their thick, long roots need space. After digging out the plants their leaves started hanging. I watered them and a couple of hours later they seem back to normal. And all of this on a hot 28°C day!

Unfortunately no wild blackberries for me this year, they first need to grow strong roots and larger shoots above the ground.

Screenshot_20190618-183512_WhatsApp.jpg
Screenshot_20190618-183512_WhatsApp.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 4123 times
Last edited by Elmigo on Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westi
KG Regular

The wild ones do taste the best but the challenge when they are smaller is getting yourself out intact, but when you go foraging and find a clump of well established ones it is much easier, still thorns but more choice of which ones to take.
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

My mother cultivated a blackberry "himalayan giant" which gave wonderful fruit but was hard picking.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Westi wrote:The wild ones do ... which ones to take.

Yes, I chose the younger/smaller ones because I had to put them in those small pots for now. When large enough I will repot them into larger ones for more space.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to keep them a little bit in place? Because the way they grow in the wild, it seems that they literally go everywhere they can, making 3m long shoots! I've put some bamboo sticks there but I'm afraid this won't be enough.
Westi
KG Regular

I'd say put them in the furtherest space so not scratched to bits on the way to water other things. As for the long term I'd say this may be a step too far for your patio to cope, but you could just do different pruning styles to see what works best but they are thugs & will just break out of any container you try to contain them in & will crop poorly if contained I would think. Being pampered in your 'garden', may also mean the fruit will not be as tasty as I think the taste comes from the challenges the plant faces during growth being able to move along & finding the nutrients needed.

Soz, not a positive post but when I say thugs I am not underestimating!
Westi
Elmigo
KG Regular

Westi wrote:I'd say put ... am not underestimating!

I totally get it and I might not want to make it as easy for them as for the other plants. They do need space so I might put them against the empty wall-side of this patio. That way they are in half shade like in the wild, growing in a larger container of dirty, thick clay when I find some, just like where I found them. I can lead them up against that wall, not sure how yet... Without pruning this is impossible, definitely!
retropants
KG Regular

good luck with the wild bramble!
I gave up my allotment, and so, as a result, my blackberries last year. However, 'someone' had other ideas, and a huge wild plant sprung up next to my greenhouse at home last year, I got lots of fruit from it, and it is even bigger this year! I am going to have to keep it well pruned, or it will be out of control! it must be growing through a crack in the concrete.
Elmigo
KG Regular

retropants wrote:good luck with the ... crack in the concrete.

Their roots spread everywhere underground, just like bamboo. It's both amazing what such plants can do and unsettling to know they can pop up anywhere. Enjoy the surprise!
retropants
KG Regular

ha! it is indeed amazing!

I shall, thankyou. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic