replacing a silver birch tree

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

retropants
KG Regular

I have a non- veggie related gardening question!
when I moved into my house 22 years ago, there was an enormous silver birch at the bottom of the garden, which has provided us with may years of dappled shade in the hot sun, and a splendid stage for all the visiting birds. I estimate it must be at least 50 years old. Last year, during the heatwave, one large limb died, and we had it removed for safety. This year, I'm very sad to say that it has not shown one single leaf. I'm quite upset, and at a loss about what to do. My ideal would be have it taken down, stump removed and then put a new one in it's place. I'm not entirely sure this is a good idea, but I am quite sure it died of old age and not disease. Any thoughts?
Geoff
KG Regular

I like silver birch and grow quite a few. When we moved to where we live now a small wood across the road had been clear felled and lots of birch seedlings came up and I transplanted some into my garden. More relevant to your question, others grew up where they were and are now full size trees like mine so they have happily grown in the same ground. So I would get it professionally removed and the stump ground then plant a replacement just a short distance away so you are not on top of the remains of the stump. Could select one of the fancy ones with very white or other pretty bark.
retropants
KG Regular

Thankyou Geoff, that sounds like a plan. I've been looking at the different bark colours, it will be hard to choose!
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear RP,
they have a nice selection of birch at Bluebell nurseries. Some rather choice maples too.
Regards Sally Wright.
retropants
KG Regular

Thankyou Sally, is that online or local to you?
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear RP,
they are on line but they are based in Ashby de la Zouch in the Midlands.
Regards Sally Wright.
retropants
KG Regular

Great, will take a look, thanks ever so much.
Geoff
KG Regular

There was one with nice bark on Gardeners' World but it seemed to have coarse foliage so that might be something to look out for, the feathery foliage is a must for me.
retropants
KG Regular

Yes, I love the delicate foliage too, and it gives such lovely dappled shade.
I think the tree must know what I am planning, as a couple of teeny tiny sprouts have appeared halfway down one of the main limbs!
Stephen
KG Regular

Retro
I understand about the trees knowing your plans. I moved into a house in 2002 where there was a little Acer with copper-coloured leaves. Very attractive it was but slways seemed to be losing the fight for survival, or at least on the verge of doing so.
Then last year, every part loooked as dead as it could be. I thought "I'll take this out in the winter" and wondered what to put in its place. In the autumn, new growth appeared in the lowest parts and it now looks wonderful, if a lot smaller than it was.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic