Rubber Trays

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin2016
KG Regular

Just got a couple of seeds tray made from rubber, seems a good alternative to plastic although bit on pricey side.

These can from a recommendation from Charles Dowding and are called 'Flex' 30 Module Natural Rubber Seed Tray.

Anybody else trying them?
Stephen
KG Regular

I am certainly exhasperated by the flimsiness of seed trays.
I have wondered about making some papier-mache ones (old newsprint and flour paste would be very compostable when finished with).
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
robo
KG Regular

Why not do a proper job and make some glassfiber ones they would last a life time ,you could use one of the plastic ones for a mold
Stephen
KG Regular

I suppose I understand how to make papier-machee. I have only done minor repairs wirh GRP.
Elmigo
KG Regular

May I ask what the advantages are of using rubber trays? I'm using and re-using plastic ones.
Monika
KG Regular

Some of my plastic seed trays must be nigh on 30 years old and I am certainly still using the first roottrainers I ever bought when they first appeared. That must be at least 10 years ago. I am more worried about small plastic pots which you get when buying plants from nurseries. I obviously try to re-use them or pass them on to our son who takes a lot of cuttings, but I wish nurseries/garden centres would take them back for re-use.
Geoff
KG Regular

Rubber is less environmentally friendly than most plastic as it won't recycle. The pot problem is the polystyrene ones, polyethylene ones would happily recycle.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:Rubber is less environmentally friendly than most plastic as it won't recycle.

That's what I was thinking too and if people re-use the rubber ones too, only the product lifespan would make the difference.
Colin2016
KG Regular

"Rubber is less environmentally friendly than most plastic as it won't recycle."

Interesting comment wonder what happens to all the car tyres are they in land fill with the plastic?

No way the plastic seed tray I have will last 30 years some are cracking up after first year, they are so flimsy.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Colin,
I too have seed trays that have stood the test of time. I even have one Ward tray that has only imperial measurements listed! I find that with seed trays (much as it chokes me) it is best to spend the cash and go for the rigid or heavy duty ones that cost around £2.50 each. They are really worth the money as they are good for many years. I have around a 100 in my collection and they all get used and washed around 3-4 times per year. My only annoyance is that the different brands do not stack together very well and I have to spend time sorting them so they do not take up so much room.

For my cell trays I use the 9 and 12 cells from H. Smith plastics (two cell packs will fit into a standard seed tray). They are good for quite a few uses before they split. I then repair splits with Oasis tape; you know, the green tape used by florists to stick blocks of floral foam into bowls etc. It is waterproof and does the job but will peel off before the tray gets thrown into the recycling. I also take the time to remove the plants from the trays at the potting bench before I take them into the garden for planting. This has several advantages; it protects the trays from damage, you can carry more plants in a crate, it is quicker/easier to plant out as you do not need to stand there stooped over the barrow popping out plants and if any plant is not quite ready to go out it can be kept back for a week or two and not be wasted. I have about 2-3 boxes of each size (400 trays per box) on the go at the moment. And that is the snag of these cells; they are only sold by the boxful but they are still a lot cheaper than the garden centre for similar products.

I have not needed to buy pots for some years as I am "Known" for taking old pots. I sort through them and keep the sizes I want and then take the rest to Scotsdales garden centre (Trumpington, Cambridge) where they have a pot recycling bin. That gets a rummage when ever I am passing as well. I had a serious thin out this winter and got rid of nearly all of the square pots I had - most went to the Botanical gardens up the road. I do keep a few non standard pots for passing out plants and seedlings so I don't lose my good pots. I mend big pots with polytunnel repair tape (again waterproof, U/V stable and will peel off before recycling).

Regards Sally Wright.
Geoff
KG Regular

You can make things from the rubber crumb that can be produced from waste tyres but the vast majority are simply burned https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_recycling
I haven't been able to find out if rubber seed trays are from fresh rubber, which I expect they are, or reprocessed crumb.
I agree that many plastic trays, particularly the modular trays, are very flimsy. I mainly use home made soil based compost and this puts even more strain on them than commercial multipurpose.
I still think the best solution is switch to recyclable thermoplastics like polyethylene from non-recyclable polystyrene that is commonly used.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Quote from supplier website "So when you buy our seed trays, you ensure the survival of a valuable, natural resource."

A lot of good alternatives are being suggested here but I am not seeing any suppliers/manufacturers promoting alternatives to non recycled plastic.
robo
KG Regular

There's a post on Facebook saying b an q are happy to have plastic pots and trays brought in for recycling
Westi
KG Regular

Kind of on the theme but not seed trays, although agree totally they do not last as long now days & are way to flimsy.

I usually put boards between some beds to walk on to weed but my supply over the years seems to last less time than the previous batch but also I don't have a clue where these come from. I was keen to find something for replacements that would last - would like them better if not a haven for slugs, but going for lifespan! After lots of research & too many sites that tempted me with things I was not actually looking for, (No I was strong, just spent loads on the new structure that was worth eery penny but gave the Mr apoplexy), I found boards made from recycled tyres. Nicely moulded to look like timber but apparently generally indestructible & trees are saved & less crap in landfill.

They don't come to next week so can't feed back just yet, but if they do work & last it would be nice.
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

The Rootrainers (tm) I have are very flimsy; they feel as if they are made to fail after a very few uses. I was hugely disappointed in the manufacturing quality. In consequence I could not possibly recommend them nor would I purchase any others. They also need to work much harder on the design of their trays so that, for example, half might be used. I was a VERY disappointed customer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic