Comfrey Best place

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin2016
KG Regular

I have 4 comfrey plants ready for the plot where is best place, should they be all together or one in each corner in/out sun?.... suggestion please.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

One of my allotments is about 18" higher than someones garden, that it joins, so I planted a full row of Comfrey along the sloping edge. It is fairly poor soil and gets sun for about half the day. the plants have now just about joined up and do a wonderful job of the soil keep washing onto their path. I get 4 to 6 cuts a year, depending on the weather.

So I would say Colin, plant them where suits you best, as they will tolerate shade and poor soil....One thing I will say is, even the so called sterile varieties, seem to be setting a few seeds the last few years....so be prepared to dig the seedlings up early, as they can soon spread very quickly....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

A warning, Colin: comfrey roots go exceedingly deep, so be sure you want your comfrey plants in that place for ever and ever because if you try to dig them up, it will be very difficult!
Colin2016
KG Regular

Thank you both was wondering how to keep grass/weeds from invading from my neighbour solution found.

Would 1 metre spacing sound about right?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That sounds a pefrect spacing, Colin.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic