Kiwano (horned melon)

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

giaur500
KG Regular

What's your weather conditions currently? To grow it outdoor, look for most sunny place and much room. That plan really needs space. And you will need to wait long for first fruits, se be patient and keep observing how fast it grows.
Primrose
KG Regular

We 've had a lot of rain in the past week but have temperatures of 20 plus for the coming week.
My plant is climbing up a trellis on a fence but not in an ideal situation, despite being south facing as I'm very short of growing space and have tomato plants growing immediately in front of it. Might have been better on second thoughts to have grown it in a big container but the roots are established now so won't risk digging it up and relocating it.

I looked at that video of growing horned melons which was pretty terrifying in terms of the space needed if they're allowed to run freely. They would end up taking up most of my growing space !!
Elmigo
KG Regular

Never heard of problems with cross pollination between cucumber family members. If it's a problem I should notice because in the greenhouse there are 7 different varieties of Curcubitaceae happily growing on the same trellis/net.

Currently this is what my kiwano looks like in the corner of the greenhouse right now. No flowers yet and all others are already flowering. But as I've already noticed, kiwano flowers later than most others in the family. Just having a little patience with it :mrgreen:

20200622_163812.jpg
20200622_163812.jpg (4.11 MiB) Viewed 3866 times
Last edited by Elmigo on Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
giaur500
KG Regular

Be patient, 3-4 weeks to first flowers, not less. Mine looks healthy, after one day - much directl sunlight and 28 temperature in shade, it's again bigger:

Direct sunlight causes it to grow very fast. In sun, when ground becomes hot, I think temperature is higher than 40 C
giaur500
KG Regular

Progress one week later:

Not bad, although not as good as year ago, due to cold May
Elmigo
KG Regular

Looking great! Have you seen any flowers already? Mine are still waiting, probably due to the cool and rainy weather. Despite being in a greenhouse, the soil around it gets soaked.
giaur500
KG Regular

No flowers yet, from my experience, at current stage, need to wait 3-4 weeks for first flowers
giaur500
KG Regular

They are going to meet each other soon:
giaur500
KG Regular

One week later:

@Elmigo how is yours inside greenhouse?
Elmigo
KG Regular

Thanks for keeping kiwano updates going, I have been too busy lately. Mine are growing out of proportions, just as predicted! :lol: Also got a few outdoors in containers. I love how limited space can be used so efficiently but I would prefer having a nice large plot where I can let them creep around like yours do.
giaur500
KG Regular

Elmigo wrote:I love how limited space can be used so efficiently but I would prefer having a nice large plot where I can let them creep around like yours do.

Well, you have been warned :wink: No matter how much space is available, kiwano takes it all :D
Primrose
KG Regular

And no matter how much growing space you have, you can always use a little bit more when another interesting new growing experiment comes along!
Once of life,s dilemmas. When you're younger you can,t always afford a garden big enough to cope with your growing desires and when you grow older, your growing space is often bigger than you can manage !
Elmigo
KG Regular

Well that is the truth and the truth only!
giaur500
KG Regular

5 days later:

Huge progress :wink:
Primrose
KG Regular

Two tiny yellow flowers have appeared on my very pathetic horned melon plant climbing up a trellis. Won't try & post a photo as it would curl up with embarrassment on comparison with these so will just leave it quietly to do its thing in peace ! At least it's still alive but only just ! Continue to watch your efforts with interest..... and envy !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic