Kiwano (horned melon)

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elmigo
KG Regular

The first few flowers fall off for me as well sometimes, so there is no need to worry about that. I had fruits on the smallest, potted little kiwano plant on my tiny balcony last year. I wouldn't turn this into a competition for the biggest fruits or the fastest fruiting. Kiwanos are just amazing fruit and they taste delicious. It's a great achievement if you managed to grow them in a cooler climate like ours, with lots of rainfall and little sun most of the time.
giaur500
KG Regular

Well, so far I am disappointed. I don't believe I will able to get the same result as I got last year, at least. Unless September will be hot and sunny, which is not going to happen. Start almost 3 weeks later than year ago, that makes huge difference.
giaur500
KG Regular

That's how it looks now:

Fruits are still green, but some of them are really large:

Primrose
KG Regular

Goodness, that,looks like a bigger area than the whole of my veg plot! Should generate a few fruit though if you're lucky enough to have a warm September with no cold nights.
giaur500
KG Regular

Year ago first frost at September 22. This year it may be better, or not. Next 10 days, average 18/8 degree day/night expected. Hot summer is over definitely. I'm not expecting yellow fruits to harvest, but some greens should be generated.

BTW how is yours? Have you got some fruits?
Primrose
KG Regular

I had a couple of brave flowers on mine but they died without being pollinated and no more appeared so that sadly was the end of my project as my other two plants died on me.
giaur500
KG Regular

That's bad luck. Maybe you will be succeded next time
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic