Brown cauliflower

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin2016
KG Regular

I planted 10 cauliflowers plants ones has good white head two have brown head others look like cabbages.

As they were part of a package 10 x each Cauliflower/cabbage/Kale/Broccoli I suspect I got more cabbage plants instead of cauliflower but wonder what has caused the brown head any ideas?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Colin, a couple of things that can cause browning is, they might have been caught by a frost, or sometimes the slime off slugs can make that happen.....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Thanks OH probaly frost then as not seen any slugs over the winter.
Westi
KG Regular

How disappointing Colin!

I find you do have to protect the heads from both frost & sunburn. I found the breaking leaves over the top advice didn't work as the wind blows them off & some varieties don't have long enough leaves as well. My hint & tip is take a few clothes pegs (not dolly pegs) from home & peg the leaves together. Makes it loose enough for air flow but stays secure until the head is big enough to take. No protection from slugs unfortunately but if you take bottom leaves off the plant so none touch the ground helps a bit, but there is always the triathlon trained ones that make the climb!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic