Advice for Beginners!

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Both pro's & cons shown so far re raised beds, however we are in danger of diverting the thread away from the original question (and I'm as guilty as anyone of assisting that to happen)

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

Peter I can't disagree with you,I used condemned scaffolding planks for mine ,that was six years ago now some of them are rotting but I will replace with bricks at least that is the thought at the moment or I may use breeze blocks depends what I can get hold of the cheapest
Monika
KG Regular

My three suggestions:
- only grow things you like to eat
- look round at neighbouring allotments/gardens and take advice from the gardeners about what will do well
- peruse a number of seed catalogues (rather than on line) and take your time choosing your varieties
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The question is for advice to people new to growing fruit and veg. So should apply to growing at home too, not solely allotments.
Colin2016
KG Regular

1 Research Books (free at library), Magazines, Attend Gardening Clubs, internet, ask questions, join forums.

2 Take Action Even if it is just to sow one packet of free seeds you come across.

3 Enjoy Enjoy your new found venture by doing it little & often.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Monika wrote:l
- peruse a number of seed catalogues (rather than on line) and take your time choosing your varieties

.... But be aware that looking at pictures in seed catalogues is rather ike looking at photos of models on the cover of Vogue. They have been carefully selected, been through make-up, the lighting is perfect and they may even be airbrushed ! Don't expect yours to look like that ! If in doubt about whether a variety is as superb as the seed merchant claims, you could ask for an homest review on here.
retropants
KG Regular

don't worry too much about everything looking perfect, it's not telly gardening, it's real!
Skips are your friend
take a kettle and a gas stove for a nice cuppa, maybe a choccy biccy or two to share with your neighbour
Stephen
KG Regular

I would not count myself as either experienced or knowledgeable but...

1) Be really honest with yourself on how much time you want to put in. On our plots, I had a neighbour who took over a plot which was in reasonably good condition. On the far side from me the ground was wild and not officially part of the plot (this was plot number 1 in the gardens). He cleared a lot of this untilled ground in the first couple of months, ending up with a plot and a half. All fine so far, if that is what he wants to do. Within six months 75% of the whole area was covered in black material and remained so, the rest went wild and at the end of the year, he shifted to a half-plot on the other side.

2) Think hard about what you chose to eat. Concentrate on growing stuff you really like and want to eat.

3) What is value for money? For example onions are really cheap in the grocers and are rarely more than one of many ingredients in a dish. Fresh salad leaves really add some va va voom to a sandwich.

(For me these points lead to growing a lot of soft-fruit, which I like, is fairly expensive in the shops and needs less attention than many other things)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic