Plant suggestions

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin2016
KG Regular

I have a 7 metre long south facing fence at back of the plot with a ditch behind it.

I would like to grow something that is beneficial/attracts wild life birds/bees/butterflies, grows quick and has bit of bulk to keep wind at bay.

Thinking buddleia and comfrey, anything else I can add?
Westi
KG Regular

Put up some wildlife structures on/near the fence as well, solitary bee hives, a wee pile of logs, a few bird nest boxes. Insects & other critters will thrive if the plants you decide on are close to home as well!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Poached egg plant (Limnanthes douglasii) Loved by Bees and Hoverflies.....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

I may be getting a bit boring but scatter a couple of packets of aldi wild flower seeds they will die off in autumn but they will be full of seeds for the birds to feed on
Geoff
KG Regular

Lots to choose from.
Erica carnea - lots of varieties like tough as old boots Springwood White and Pink are brilliant for early insects.
Lysimachia Clethroides flowers late with me and the butterflies love it.
Lots of Sedum varieties are great for Autumn insects.
Veronicastrum fascination and other varieties are loved by bees.
Lots of shrubs / small trees you can add to the Buddleias for flowers and fruit e.g. Berberis (darwinii is good), Cotoneasters, Flowering Currant (another brilliant early bee attraction), Guelder Rose (and some other Viburnums), Sorbus (Rowan and others), our Fuchsias (hardy ones) are always covered with bees.
There's a start.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Colin,
the trick here is to make the best use of the area by planting the thug plants that you don't want in the rest of the plot. I get that you want a windbreak but it can also be a useful area as well. What I am thinking of is something that is a blend of a permaculture border, fedge (fruiting hedge) and wildlife corridor.

The British native hedging plants will do well such as hazel, hawthorn and sloe. Others to consider are Berberis; choose the species with care as some can get awful BIG with thorns to match. Sea buckthorn is good for the berries and is very wind resistant as are some of the Cotoneasters. Elderflowers are good for insects and birds; the purple leaved kinds make really wacky elderflower champagne/cordials. Wild roses and Rosa rugosa can be good here.

Do not use Pyracantha as it gets really big and, will easily put on eight foot a year and it is a real pain to deal with and keep under control.

If you want flowers then it could be a place to grow your Jerusalem and globe artichokes; cardoons are loved by bees. Lovage, fennel, angelica and sweet cicily are also liked by the insects. Oregano, anise hyssop and mint could be left to rampage through; horseradish rhubarb, sorrel and hedge garlic too.

Next to a ditch sounds damp so what about some coloured willows and Cornus. The willows will give early pollen and the Cornus will flower if left to grow rather than coppicing them annually.

Some fruit bushes could be bunged in if you don't mind sharing such as redcurrant, gooseberries and raspberries. Blackberries - no - just don't go there.

Truly the list of plants to go in would fill the area you have many times over so the decision is up to you but I hope that I have given you some ideas.
Regards Sally Wright.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

What a comprehensive informative reply from Sally, helpful and enjoyable reading

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Tony Hague
KG Regular

We once grew sugar beet in an experimental field that had been previously used to grow borage. There were a lot of volunteer borage plants that got out of control so we attempted to hoe them out (tractor hoe, that is). I've never seen so many angry bees ! So I conclude borage is an excellent bee plant.
robo
KG Regular

As always pa snip
Colin2016
KG Regular

Thank you all for your suggestions. Going to take awhile to digest your ideas Sally, thanks.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Tony,
borage seeds are used to make what is known as starflower oil. The bee hives are often taken to it to aid the pollination and the honey produced is very pale, does not set and the flavour is so delicate it makes me drool to think of it. Haven't had any for years but the memory lingers....
Regards Sally Wright.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic