Lemon Tree

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

I've brought the lemon tree inside. It has 6 lemons on it & loads of flowers in various stages of maturity. Will these flowers continue to grow inside & respond to the paint brush method of pollination or is there secrets to citrus?

IMG_3578.JPG
IMG_3578.JPG (1.68 MiB) Viewed 3793 times

IMG_3579.JPG
IMG_3579.JPG (1.85 MiB) Viewed 3793 times

I have failed miserably with all my previous citrus attempts & this one is from Lidl's which was bought early in the year with 8 full sized lemons on it which turned out to be seedless & very juicy, so a bit more determination & proper feeding etc. as very impressed with this wee guy!

Absolutely any hints & tips about citrus welcomed; potting on, protecting, pests, diseases etc. Cheers in advance!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

We have an aldi lemon tree as well as an aldi orange tree ,apart from four months in summer both of ours live in the conservatory we never have loads of lemons on it but always have a few it flowers all year round I leave it to pollinate itself ,problem is when we have a lemon ready for picking we buy a bottle of gin after all you have to do it justice
Westi
KG Regular

Cheers for that information. It is not in the sun at all where it is, so I best find it another location for a start.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Never kept one but a friend has a robust one which she now over winters in an u heated summerhouse, keeping the compost fairly dry. She said she nearly killed it the first year she had it by bringing it indoors into a centrally heated house over winter and watering inwell thinking thisis what it needed. . Apparently they much prefer to rest in cooler conditions with only enough watering to keep the compost barely damp
Primrose
KG Regular

Never kept one but a friend has a robust one which she now over winters in an u heated summerhouse, keeping the compost fairly dry. She said she nearly killed it the first year she had it by bringing it indoors into a centrally heated house over winter and watering inwell thinking thisis what it needed. . Apparently they much prefer to rest in cooler conditions with only enough watering to keep the compost barely damp
Primrose
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I manage to keep citrus going for a few seasons and then they succumb to scale insects or some other problem. The one I still have is a grapefruit that I grew from a pip. I've mentioned before I think that it has only once had a flower when it was about 4inches high and produced a golf ball sized fruit. I live in hope. I just wish it would flower as I love the scent. Perhaps I'll have to look out for a lemon tree in Lidl or Aldi as the last one produced lots of fruit. The kaffir lime was the most temperamental and didn't last very long at all.

I over winter them in the conservatory and put them out in summer.

My jobs for tomorrow will start with repotting the grapefruit and checking it for scale insect.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic