Strawberry propagation

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

The_Grove
KG Regular

I have some strawberry plants that have produced runners which have now rooted in the surrounding soil. I want to move the main plants and the new plants to a new location for next year. When should I do this? Now whilst they are still growing, during the winter, or just before the come into growth next year?

Thanks.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I have just done mine last week, but how old are the main plants, if they are over 4 years old they need burning really
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Geoff
KG Regular

Depends how big the rooted runners are. If they are decent sized plants separate them and plant them in a new area now. If they are still fairly small loosen them then pin them down into pots, remember only take the first plantlet on each runner and cut off the continuation of the runner, then plant them probably at the end of the month. Ideally only use two or three per old plant and cut the rest off, if they are strong and you are keen to expand your stock perhaps a few more. Unless the mother plants are only a year old I would scrap them, big plants don't move all that well.
The_Grove
KG Regular

Thanks, that's really helpful. They are just one year old. Some did not do well this year after planting so keen to expand the patch now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic