Raspberries

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Geoff
KG Regular

I struggled over several years with Summer fruiting raspberries dying on me, the problem was raspberry root rot. Here is what the main Scottish Research station the Hutton Institute says :

Raspberry root rot, caused by Phytophthora fragariae var. rubi is currently the most economically damaging of all pests and diseases that affect raspberries in the UK. None of the commercially used varieties at present exhibit resistance, although the Canadian variety Cowichan tolerates the disease to some degree.

The industry desperately requires new commercially acceptable varieties that are resistant to Phytophthora. This will allow raspberries to be grown on infected sites that are otherwise ideally suited to raspberry production. It will also avoid the need to use fungicides and improve the viability of raspberry production for many fruit growers.

I gave up on them a few years ago and just grew Autumn Bliss that has never had a problem. I used the bed for strawberries and peas in rotation instead. Then I read about an American bred variety and in the Autumn of 2015 I changed the soil in the bed, raised it a bit and planted Cascade Delight. Here's what the supplier I used (scotplantsdirect) says about them :

Raspberry Cascade Delight has long fruiting laterals producing large, sweet but firm fruit. Cascade Delight canes have a good field tolerance to root rot. Expect a heavy yield of berries with an intense, traditional raspberry flavour with Cascade Delight canes. Cascade Delight will thrive in wetter gardens where other varieties have failed.
Plant in well-drained soil, mounded rows or raised beds between supports. Mulch with material such as composted bark for best results. Cascade Delight is a Floricane producing fruit on second year wood. Prune to ground level late winter.

So now I am entering the third season with them, any other attempt would be starting to show dying canes and bronzing foliage, these are rampant. My fruit cage is 7' high and these are touching the roof, they have masses of flowers and are alive with pollinating insects so I have great hopes for them. So if anybody else has been struggling with Summer raspberries I think I can recommend Cascade Delight.

IMG_4041_R.jpg
IMG_4041_R.jpg (1005.88 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Very interesting info Geoff. They look great and sound like an excellent variety to try.
Westi
KG Regular

Goodness Geoff, I never even heard of it as my raspberries were there when I took it on & pop up without issue each year. I love this forum, learn so much!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic