Ornamental Container Plants

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Geoff
KG Regular

Last year we had some Bacopa in some of our tubs and planters. At the end of the season I dug some up and kept them frost free over Winter and took cuttings as they came back into active growth. I've done a similar thing with Agyranthemums (Marguerites) for several years.
This year we bought some Calibrachoa that I haven't grown before. I took a few cuttings before putting them in the tubs and they have rooted well. I'm wondering about keeping one of each colour back as a stock plant to try and over Winter and wondered if anybody has tried it with these? I suppose the same applies to the two grey foliage plants we have (can't remember the names, one is probably Helichrysum).
Monika
KG Regular

Geoff, we have grown all the plants you mentioned but have not tried to keep all of them them over the winter except the helichrysum and argyranthemum. Our greenhouse is not frost free and the helichrysum survived so far and then succumbed, the argyranthemum was in a cool spare room, survived but was only fit to use for cuttings in spring. But both bacopa and calibrachoa can be grown from cuttings so, if you can keep them frost free, I bet it would work.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic