Fish in your butt

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Jenny Green
KG Regular

Richard how many childhoods have you had? :?
richard p
KG Regular

thought most of us were in our second
nickyk
KG Regular

Hi,
How did the goldfish cope last summer - I see the mossies looking lovingly at our water butt already so would love an update. Tried the oil and it killed the larvae but it did leave a mucky residue on the sides.
Thanks
Malk
KG Regular

Oh I love the idea of getting goldfish at the plot. Wish I had see-through water butts though for Nugget to watch them.

I would think deep butts would be better if they're prone to frost.

Need to go out to the pet shop/ garden centre. Hurrah! As if I needed a reason. :lol:
Welcome to Finland!!
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Sounds interesting all this, but I assume that none of you goldfish users keep a lid on the water-butt. Otherwise the fish will be starved of light even if they get a feast of larvae. My own water butts are all covered up.

I have heard of another way of keeping the water fresh and odourless - put a few pieces of charcoal in the butt. I've no idea if that works or not, because I clean forgot to do this last autumn. The water doesn't smell too bad though; perhaps it only starts to pong once it gets warmed up.

Yes, centipedes are among the good guys, unlike earwigs, which I used to confuse them with when I was a child - sorry, I mean in the early stages of my perpetual childhood. I think it's Joy Larkcom who gives the rule of thumb that if they move fast they are OK.

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Trevor Holloway
KG Regular

Mine all died :(
Deb P
KG Regular

My lone goldfish is still ok, he's in a large water tank and has kept the water midge free all last year. :D
Weed
KG Regular

Wow ..this is an interesting thread.

It would be lovely to have fish in the water tubs but I would need reassurance that they won't cook in the summer temperatures if the tubs are left in too much sunlight or freeze to death in winter if exposed to heavy frosts...thats if we get any frosts with the climate change promises
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
lynne
KG Regular

my butts are getting low already - and no rain forecasted in the foreseeable future.
I've been suggesting to the Asst.Est.Mgr that he taps into the waste pipe from the shower/bath and runs it into the butt. the suggesting turns into harassing tomorrow :)
Where do you go to my lovely, when you're alone in your shed...
Malk
KG Regular

Still haven't picked any up as I don't have any cash, but we rarely have to worry about running low on rain up here. I figured if it got hot and my water butts were getting low, I'd take it out and bring it home for a while. We have water on the plots, but it would take a bit of settling before I could put the fish in it, I would think.
Welcome to Finland!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic