Feed your wormery

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Despite the cold weather my wormery is teeming with life and the worms are getting through lots of kitchen waste. They like torn up tea bags, apple cores., vegetable peel, chopped banana skins torn up cardboard and green leafy leftovers. I don't include citrus or onions but they process most things. Saying that I had to take some pistachio shells courtesy of my partner, out of the caddy just now before putting it in the wormery.

I've found that they like a cover of a newspaper or two, which acts as a moisture mat and they also have a nibble at it.

They don't produce vast quantities of compost but it is excellent nutritious and moisture retaining for giving house plants or anything in tubs a boost. I leave a bowl under the tap and keep it turned on so the worms don't get too wet, then bottle what it collects to dilute for plant food.
Diane
KG Regular

I'd love a wormery. Might be the next project.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
robo
KG Regular

I had to buy more worms ,when I started I did not get a lot but after this winter I could only find around half of what I started with
hilary
KG Regular

Aah, the wormery I had never seemed to have many worms,never could u derstand why untilI discovered a very fat shrew in there!
Obviously the holes in my home built wormery were just too large so I abandoned the project. May have another go now though.

Hilary
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

That's a shame Hilary. Mine is a plastic one raised up on legs so there isn't any access for vermin . I keep it in a sheltered corner with a bit of insulation and a board above it so it has protection from the elements over winter.
robo
KG Regular

I moved mine into the pollytunnel in winter didn't make much difference though
jeff64
KG Regular

don,t really need a wormery we have a regular supply of manure from a local stable and within 6months it,s nearly 50% worms,nearly everyone on the allotment is pleased with it and it,s free.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic