Mini greenhouse - which type of cover is best?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I,ve had a heavy duty green reinforced plastic cover over my mini greenhouse all winter.

In the past I’ve used a clear transparent one for spring & summer use but am faced with the need to replace a badly damaged transparent one. However I’m consciously trying to reduce my use of plastic and wonder how much difference it will make to the health of my plants if I stick with the reinforced green cover all year round. They will certainly get less sunlight filtering through. Will this slow up the growing and ripening process? I know a lot of poly tunnels are made of the green reinforced material so plants must grow reasonably well in them.
robo
KG Regular

The first time we had a go at growing tomatoes we used a timber frame covered in clear visqueen this lasted about three years then I built a timber greenhouse that was around 46 years or so ago , when we first got our plot we bought one of the cheap crappy green pollytunnels of Amazon this lasted around a year we now have a proper pollytunnel , all the things we have used we have had no problem growing things including the green pollytunnel , our greenhouse at home has painted glass on one side as it gets to hot in it even in spring ,I don't think you will have a problem might save you shading it later in summer
Gerry
KG Regular

Primrose have a look at http://www.lumigrowth.com/light-essential/

It's about growlights but it gives a good insight into colours of light and how plants use them.

Regards,
Gerry.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic