Bean Tunnel

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

I like the idea of making a tunnel for the Runner beans over my path to walk through & started researching on the internet. It appears they are fraught with difficulty as if too narrow you can't get through yourself with the growth intertwining, which is a problem as the barrow will have to go through from time to time - I could go around, well except to pick but that could end up a Dr Who episode with me trapped in there. :) If they are too wide the weight bends the canes down so you have to duck & I expect they could split as well.

There were some with that blue pipe hooped over the top, but not sure of that, as that pipe is a bit heavy by itself and will be sitting on top of the pointy end of the canes so I think with a heavy crop as well that would break. The metal structures are cost prohibitive and most are not long enough. Some bloke in the states had some rigid cow wire mesh in a big piece but I think it would be too heavy and I would not be able to bend it & he didn't explain how he anchored it to the ground.

Any ideas? Anyone tried it?
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I think I would start out with a square frame probably use 2 x 1 inch timber ,three legs down each side pushed into the soil a straight piece along each top side joining the three legs then three pieces going across if you make it tall enough you can then bend canes on the inside giving it the arch shape when a few beans have climbed it you would not see the supporting timber
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Robo!

Can't quite visualise what you are saying, any chance of a pic of a rough sketch? x
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Westi I'm the world's worst at drawing ill send you a p.m. to see if I can explain it better
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Have you thought about using some of the plastic coated metal canes as they're the same width all the way up then you could put plastic pipe to make the arches. You could have it as wide as you need and just have a few cross pieces to stabilise it.
Westi
KG Regular

PP! I've never seen plastic coated metal canes, only plastic coated thin wire. Feel free to p.m. me the site or just post on here as maybe other visitors will be interested.

Robo - it is not you it is me! I think it is the bending the canes on the inside bit that threw me. I think I understand you need a proper support frame on the sides as even an A frame structure draws in with the weight & if I want them straight to support a top they will need something secure to anchor to.
Westi
quilter
KG Regular

Have you thought of looking on ebay , gumtree, freecycle or the like for an old climbing frame or frame tent that could be adapted? They usually have nice metal poles as a starting point.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi quilter! Welcome to the forum!

You know I actually haven't - I'm usually mooching in those places first of all when I want something for lottie & I do go back to thinking of getting something more solid but new they are costly. Sometimes you can get very lucky & find something good that is now not wanted. Cheers for that prompt - I'll let you all know what I find.
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Came across this wonder if frame could be adapted to your needs?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132573525976?ul_noapp=true
Westi
KG Regular

Ah Colin, it was gone! I have been mooching around though & I think I could possibly find something, will let you all know.
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Well I found something from a reply on FB! £6.50 each from Wilco, I bought 3. The thing that attracted me beside the price was the height, as they are 7' & even if they don't last at that price not a huge investment & only £4 delivery - wish I known it was that price delivery no matter how much ordered! Only 1 up to measure out, took about 1 1/2hr in all, but next 2 will be quicker as sussed it a bit.

I will leave a gap same length as the depth and use canes to join them & help the beans climb. Once they are in full swing it will be all hidden. Wonder if Wilco do a stepping stool, as might have a wee problem reaching them, but at least I won't damage them walking through!
fullsizeoutput_4cb.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4cb.jpeg (3.44 MiB) Viewed 8728 times

And extra secured! (And remembered to rotate the pics - hope the right way)!
IMG_2666.JPG
IMG_2666.JPG (4.93 MiB) Viewed 8728 times
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Looks Great and a bargin too.
Westi
KG Regular

Rotated the wrong way again! Sorry!

westi1.jpg
westi1.jpg (791.45 KiB) Viewed 8686 times

Westi2.jpg
Westi2.jpg (453.63 KiB) Viewed 8686 times
Last edited by peter on Wed May 02, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pictures set to halfway to Australia.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic