Raspberry canes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

JohnN
KG Regular

Gorgeous weather this a.m. so spent the morning extending my raspberry "frame" to take the 5 new canes I bought this week. They're all together in a pot so I've got to separate them. Is it best to plant each in a separate hole, or dig a trench? Use just the soft earth already there or plant them in all-purpose compost? Add fertiliser (which?) or leave that till later?. Many thanks for advice.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

No expert, but I just planted in mine in the soil with some Blood, Fish and Bone
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I put mine straight in the soil with a bit of blood fish and bone and mulch round them with a layer of home made compost from the compost heap. They tend to be shallow rooted so a bit of mulch helps stop them getting too dry while they get established, not that it's a problem at the moment.
Geoff
KG Regular

I tend to plant them in a little trench so the roots are in a line so the new shoots come up near the centre of the bed, crowns about 18" apart. As others say, work in some blood, fish and bone (perhaps a little extra potash) and mulch.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Wood ash was my Dads "secret weapon", they do like potash, I will be making a new bed for some earlier summer fruiting ones.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic