Garlic replanting

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin2016
KG Regular

I have harvested Garlic from last years (2017) spring planting.

I believe I can I plant them now and get another harvest from them?

If so how do I decide which are the best to use?
Geoff
KG Regular

I grow most of my garlic by re-planting my own, I do it in the Autumn but there is no reason why you shouldn't do it now. Just carefully divide the roots up into individual cloves taking care not to damage the bases then plant the biggest and plumpest. It means whoever does the cooking has a lot of small ones to use up!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I do the same as Geoff but plant them I pots in the cold frame ready to plant out when the soil is workable early in the year. I've not put them out yet as it keeps snowing. The saved bulbs often start sprouting anyway at this time of the year so it's good to plant them if they can't be used in the kitchen.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Thank you both for your help.

I have some growing which I sowed autum last year, perhaps they will be better as they will be newer/fresher.

No problem with using up the small ones Geoff, it is only me that use them and I never throw anything away because of size just add a few more in the pot to make up.

When I first used galic I used a whole bulb thinking that was a clove, wife keept her distance for a while after, great meal though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic