Planted any good seeds recently?????

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mazmezroz
KG Regular

Having brought some of my parsley in from the cold and seen how it's thrived on my windowsill, I have taken a chance on some basil, lettuce and coriander seeds in pots on my sunny south facing window sill. Anybody else done similar and does it succeed at this time of year? Also, have tried some cut and come again winter salad stuff in an old grow bag put into a sheltered cold frame. Am I mad, or might it just work????

Are there any seeds that people have successfully sown at this time of year, and if so what and where??
Jude
KG Regular

I tried basil at the beginning of November, also on a sunny south facing windowsill, but although it soon germinated it never amounted to much so I got fed up with it and chucked it out, Just not enough heat of hours of daylight obviously.
Chez
KG Regular

I have also tried basil from seed at this cold and dark time of year (two years in a row) and similarly, no success. However, my summer-sown basil is still growing well in its pot on the kitchen windowsill. Perhaps this is the secret - to start it early and then just keep it going? I feed it with Phostrogen every so often too.
Tigger
KG Regular

OOh - is it me? I grow all the main soft herbs throughout the winter in the unheated area of my tunnel, plus cuttings from the woody types. Lettuces, rocket and mizuna also grow in the same tunnel. About to start others, if you want the detail. Will start to heat the other tunnel in January, so more adventurous then.

M.
mazmezroz
KG Regular

Interesting, Tigger! I have an unheated greenhouse at the lottie and a little plastic 4 tier jobbie at home unheated of course. So you give me heart! My lettuce is just starting to germinate on the window sill. I take it, then, that you grow basil and coriander when you say 'soft' herbs? I'm suffering from gardening withdrawal at the mo, and need to get cultivating!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic