Slug/snail control

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Someone at the site has used that 'Strulch' stuff & says it has made a difference but looked at that & a bit expensive. Deffo the nemotodes are also too expensive. I am currently using Sluggo which are organic but the slimy things go off to die so you don't get the satisfaction of knowing you won a small battle in the war. I also find Grazers quite effective, but that's just a deterrent to protect the important crops & you will need a few bottles if applied to the whole plot. (Although to just air a thought I have - I have sprayed the cabbage white deterrent one when ran out of the slug one & it seems to work quite well. You don't think their spray for each thing is actually the same magic mix)?
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Westi, we used the Grazers cabbage white deterrent and I'm not convinced. We still get plenty of cabbage whites and had a HUGE aphid infestation which it is supposed to prevent.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Stephen! Today I sprayed my infested Brussels sprouts with the slug & snail Grazers & the number of caterpillars that dropped off was pretty spectacular especially as I also looked over them & removed lots. They did not have slug or snail damage twas total cabbage whites, but that was all I had in the shed & got a result. The family & friends are not keen on Brussel's but they look quite nice when big & tall & I don't actually hate them, but as such was not as fastidious with the protection.

I have sprayed proper eaten by slimy things crops with this but not much difference with this product but the caterpillars deffo don't like it. They don't die but don't like it & much easier to find on the ground than the leaf.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic