Cucumber Chinese Slangen Veg Seeds

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin2016
KG Regular

I have a packet of Cucumber Chinese Slangen cucumber seeds which I would like to grow upwards, are these suitable?
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've always grown cucumbers up a frame made from canes in the greenhouse. I try to grow outdoor ones over a raised structure too just high enough to keep them off the ground, so they are quite accommodating whatever you do with them. Raising them keeps them clean and slugs are less of a problem.

I've not grown this particular variety though but find Chinese fruit and vegetables in general usually do well here.
Westi
KG Regular

I'm growing a Chinese one too - Natsuhikari. It's an F1 I grew last year outdoors from a direct sowing (failed first sowing of Burpees or something led to that), & it did quite well considering late in, compared to the others. I'm planning to train these up, but I've acquired some panels of sturdy wire with about 5inch x 5inch square holes, which I will tie to canes or support some way or another.

Don't know the original use for these bits but they are only about 18" wide so off cuts from some job, but still about 4ft in height. My thinking is this width of square will allow the cucumbers to hang down easily without any obstruction, find the ones up canes will bend if touch the canes, not to mention missing one & stopping production.
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Thanks you both for your comments.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic