Mesh cleaning

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

jayjaybee
KG Regular

Has anyone found a way to get veggie mesh clean? My Envoronmesh is several years old and going green. I can rinse it off to remove soil but the algae remains. I've tried putting it in the washing machine but it just stayed put whilst the drum went round and round. I tried a bleach solution in a dustbin to dunk it and even tried to scrub a small area (soon got fed up with that)! Neither worked by the way.
Geoff
KG Regular

I have mesh on a frame to make a carrot cage. Last year I sprayed it with Algon then pressure washed it a couple of weeks later and that removed quite a lot of it. I'm trying to decide what to do this year as much of the framework is now rotten, originally built in 2004 with a few repairs along the way but still the original mesh. As has been said on another thread, carrots are cheaper than Enviromesh!
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I regard myself as experienced in dealing with algae, rather than an expert. Using hypochlorite (Bleach) usually deals with algae though I recommend you use an algaecide because hypochlorite is very corrosive.

Try this, treat your mesh with an algaecide and let it sit without being disturbed for a week (At a guess) then bung it in a dustbin or something with some warm water and maybe a little soap and agitate it.

I think the trick with algae is not to allow it to get established. Once established it becomes very difficult to get rid of all the spores.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
jayjaybee
KG Regular

Sounds like a plan Richard. I have several 30ft lengths to treat so might look into costs of Algicide. Pressure washing afterwards might be an idea too, thanks Geoff. I've been dying to have a go at hubby's washer. He might need a bit of persuading to let me loose with one of his toys though. No matter I like a challenge!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Washing it in the washing machine with a couple of Milton tablets has quite good results.
Westi
KG Regular

Just an idea, but what if you contacted the manufacturer? It always does get a bit of algae on it, they must have had complaints & moans so maybe they have a product or tip to help! (Or your enquiry will encourage them to)!

What if when you put it in the washing machine you threw in some of those ball things that are supposed to stop static & 'clean' your clothes as that may help the mesh actually move around in the machine? Still reckon the manufacturers could have a tip or comments on their site if they have a feedback section.
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Jayjaybee, have you tried putting an old towel or similar into the washing machine with the netting? I think that would work.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

The cheapest algaecide is one by Mangers, it's the decorating brand. I've used it for it's intended purpose which is algae on paintwork, I also used it to control algae on roofing slates, trees, our motor home and cars. It was just under £8 for 2.5 litres that makes 12 litres.

I hadn't realized that the mesh didn't go round in the washing machine, I think mine did because it came out cleaner though I don't tend to study what's going on in my washing machine. It'll be fine in the washing machine and putting an old towel in should help, what a good idea.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well me knowing nothing about washing machines, i was going to suggest putting a couple of bricks in there.... but when i shared my thoughts with cook, the look was enough to tell me it was a stupid idea... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
jayjaybee
KG Regular

Monika wrote:Jayjaybee, have you tried putting an old towel or similar into the washing machine with the netting? I think that would work.

Brilliant idea. I think I'd better make sure the mesh is clean first, as the washing machine is only five minutes old, I'd hate to be the one who ruined it, I'd never live it down.
jayjaybee
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:The cheapest algaecide is one by Mangers, it's the decorating brand. I've used it for it's intended purpose which is algae on paintwork, I also used it to control algae on roofing slates, trees, our motor home and cars. It was just under £8 for 2.5 litres that makes 12 litres.

I hadn't realized that the mesh didn't go round in the washing machine, I think mine did because it came out cleaner though I don't tend to study what's going on in my washing machine. It'll be fine in the washing machine and putting an old towel in should help, what a good idea.

Thanks for that Richard. Watching the washing machine and microwave go round is what passes for entertainment in this neck of the woods :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic