Pricking Out Tomato Seedlings - Leaf or stem?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

KG Tony
KG Regular

Well, if you look at the March issue of KG it looks like our expert gardeners have different approaches to pricking out tomato seedlings. On page 33 we have the instruction: "Handle the seedling by its leaves, NEVER the delicate stem” (Ben Vanheems). But then on page 11 we have Joyce Russell handling a seedling by the stem, something she says she always does (gently) without any harm to the seedling. Ben's way represents the conventional wisdom but then if Joyce's way works for her....?

So what kind of pricker-outer are you? :)
John
KG Regular

Surely it must be the leaves ("Don't call me Surely!").
If these are accidentally damaged during pricking out then the seedling will quickly recover. If you use the stem and it gets damaged - that's the end of the seedling.
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Clumsy is the answer to last question Tony, try to use the leaf as I have damaged plants in the past grabbing the stems, doesn't help when you have hands like shovels with large fingers.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I leave the stem alone, so that leaves me with the leaves.... :)

Just the way i was shown but, if the seedlings are not too crowded or too big, i suppose they would separate easily, so you could pick them up by the stem without having to pull them...so no bruising to the stem should occur!!!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Neither is best of all! I sow two seeds in a thimble pot and scrap one if both come up then eventually pot on from thimble to 3½"/4" without touching the plant. If two show in one pot and another is no show I transplant using a spatula and rarely touch the plant.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

No brainer, leaf.

Handle heavily and damage a leaf and still a chance seedling will continue to grow, damage a stem and its goodnight Vienna.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

I tend to do similar to Geoff ,if I have to touch the plant I only touch the leaves and very gently at that
Primrose
KG Regular

Leaf for me if I had to prick out but these days I eliminate this process and save myself work by sowing two seeds in a 3" pot and let them grow in that u til i,m ready to plant them out.

(Incidentally note I said a 3" pot and not some metric measurement. I read the other day that when Brexit is finally achieved we might return to our Impwrial measures which would suit me just fine as my brain has never switched to the metric system. Somehow can,t see it happening but I live in hope,)
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Mostly by the leaf, but when actually putting them in the new pot I hold them gently between two fingers with the leaves balanced on the top of my fingers - to get them centred and straight. Sorry haven't described that very well ..... there's always a few casualties though especially when the cats try and 'help'... they're not so careful with seedlings.

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

I dig them out with a teaspoon or label marker depending on size of pot, so don't touch either leave or stem! Cat has proved stem damage is not good though! :(
Westi
richard p
KG Regular

i start the seeds in a tray, then dig out lumps of compost to transplant, avoid gripping plants at all. but delicate stem must be a no no.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic