Dahlias

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Jude
KG Regular

Sorry, yet another question! If I grow dahlias from seed will I eventually get tubers?
Sue
KG Regular

Hi Jude

I tried growing Bishop's Children from seed and they were really easy, produced strong well flowered plants in year 1 and small tubers. I saved the best ones but didn't think they were beefy enough to get much in the way of cuttings out of, so just replanted them next spring. They made huge plants, flowered like crazy and the tubers bulked up really well.

Mine were growing in a block on the allotment while I decided which colours I liked best, so got fairly haphazzard care. If you lavished more food and water on the plants in year 1 you could probably do better :?:

I grew some dahlias from seed 4 - 5 years ago, and planted them against the house on the north side. They've been thriving ever since! Granted, we've had mild winters and I mulched them initially, but hey, they look great with little effort now.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Jude,
Yes you will get tubers, but you will need to feed them through out the growing season. You do not say what you want them for, is it for cut flowers or do you intend to show them. can you let me know :?:
If you need anymore info let me know

Kevin
Jude
KG Regular

Thanks, Kevin,
I just want to grow them for cut flowers on my allotment as I have no room left in the garden!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic