Make your Own Seaweed Juice

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin2016
KG Regular

I have read that seaweed juice/extract is good for the soil so am wondering as there is an abundance of the stuff on the beach I could use it.

Anybody done this before?
robo
KG Regular

Every time I go fishing I promise myself to bring home every bit that comes aboard normally there is no shortage but the last twelve months there has been very little, I thought I would start by giving it a rinse then I was or should I say am going to start mulching the asparagus with it and see how it performs
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Colin2016 wrote:I have read that seaweed juice/extract is good for the soil so am wondering as there is an abundance of the stuff on the beach I could use it.

Anybody done this before?

Refer to local council bye laws.

Some say no you cant,
some say you can below the tideline.
Some say help yourself ( I think on the premise that there might be less for them to clear up.)

Some beaches are privately owned so permission required from owner.

You also need to extract the high salt content.

Having sorted that out, yes seaweed extract is said to be good and is available commercially

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

I once bought home a black bin bag of seedweed from a coastal visit and put it in my compost heap. It took for ever to rot down. I don't know whether it would have degraded more quickly if I'd dug it straight into the soil.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Just had a flashback,

those warm balmy days of summer strolling along the beach keeping clear of the washed up seaweed that flies seemed so attracted to.
And I have to include that other wonderful memory so applicable to some places where seaweed had accumulated... the smell !!!!!

Sounding like the promotions department for dried seaweed extract supplier.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

The trouble with collecting seaweed from the beach if it's washed up in any quantity is all the unmentionable rubbish and detritus that is often washed up with it and tangled up with it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic