Keeping carrots

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

Why is it that when I BUY small carrots (with or without green top growth), they always stay crisp and hard for a few days, but when I harvest our own in an evening, by the next day they are limp and soft in spite of being stored in the cool outside, in a plastic bag?
Primrose
KG Regular

Idon't know the answer Monika but I wonder if it's something to do with the fact that commercial carrots get soaked by washing in water immediately after picking and then possibky stored in a chilled warehiuse before being shipped off to the customer. Perhaps you could try soaking them in water overnight before storing in the veg compartment in the fridge to see if this makes any diference.
Beryl
KG Regular

I agree with Primrose, when I bring mine home from the allotment I top and tail, wash thoroughly and leave to dry on some newspaper before placing in poly bags, sealing taking out as much air as possible. They will keep perfectly well for a week or so like that.

Beryl.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,
Commercially grown Carrots pulled with the foliage on go into a chiiler and what you call the cool outside is not cool enough.
If you were to put them in the salad draw in you fridge you may get more success.
JB.
Monika
KG Regular

Thank you everybody - so next time I bring the carrots back from the allotment, I will wash them, put them into a tight plastic bag and then store them in the salad drawer in the fridge, sorted.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

I just cooked with some carrots from the allotment which I put in the fridge a couple of weeks ago - still really crunchy and tasty.

They were washed, and put in a sealed bag the in the veg draw in the fridge. The trick I find ( which I also use for herbs, beans, lettuce...and more) is to put a piece of kitchen paper in the bag. Great trick I learnt a few years ago. I don't know why or how it works but it keeps them at the correct moisture, and it really does work!

Pawty
Beryl
KG Regular

Good tip Pawty. Thanks. I would think the paper absorbs excess moisture which does happen in plastic bags.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic