Too green or not too green

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

AndyTwin
KG Regular

Hi everyone.
I'm a newbie so please be kind.
A friend of mine gave me some potato sets to plant. The chits looked very healthy but he must have left them out in daylight too long because they had started to go green. I believe potatoes that are green are poisonous so would they be alright to plant.
Secondly is it to late to be planting potatoes ?
Thanks
peter
KG Regular

Green potatoes are only poisonous if you eat them and it's not like taking cyanide. :wink:
More like drinking TCP instead of using it as a mouthwash.
That said don't make a habit of it and peeling usually removes the green part.

More importantly they only go green if exposed to light, so their offspring underground are not green. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Geoff
KG Regular

Potatoes that have been left in the light to produce shoots will often go green. You will still get something off Potatoes planting them now, depends a bit on variety, the main disadvantage of planting late is that there is less likely to be a decent crop if you get blight. Don't worry about the green, you will not be eating the ones you plant.
Welcome to the forum and growing, hope you have got some other crops coming on.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi and welcome

My response echoes Peters.

As for the 'is it too late' part of your question, plant them. It will depend on what category they fall into (salad, early, 2nd early or main crop, as to how big they now get.

You have not told us whereabouts you are so we cannot relate our answer to weather conditions but you will almost certainly get a crop, the resultant potatoes may not be as big or plentiful as earlier planted spuds though.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Looks like Geoff and I were typing up almost identical advice at the same time as one another :D

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Andy,
Welcome to the forum.
Seed potatoes if left to chit will virtually always go green but this is the mother spud and the progeny as long as they are protected from light will be fine and wholesome to eat.
With regards to remarks made about late planting and size of crop and this depends largely on the variety.
Here the sowing of main crop varieties of potatoes has only just finished and our crops are only just begining to break the surface.
They will be harvested from late September onward. Our plantings are are on anticipate bud break after the last frosts. We rely solely on rainfall as irrigation is not possible.
Our crops last year yielded just over 22 tons to the acre which was a trial for a much larger crop planting for this current year.
JB.
Kate Holloway
KG Regular

AndyTwin wrote:Hi everyone.
I'm a newbie so please be kind.
A friend of mine gave me some potato sets to plant. The chits looked very healthy but he must have left them out in daylight too long because they had started to go green. I believe potatoes that are green are poisonous so would they be alright to plant.
Secondly is it to late to be planting potatoes ?
Thanks

I have the same problems as you, because I am only start learning such things related to garden.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs harder.
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome Kate & Andy!

Most of us started as Newbies, but fortunately we have some very experienced & professional forum members who are only too happy to point you in the right direction. How they maintain their patience with some of the daft questions I ask is evidence enough, & I have been on here for ages! Ask away, read the old posts, join in conversations, get to know the guys & girls. If they don't know they will certainly point you in the right direction so you don't get stuck on the internet's conflicting advice.

Welcome again
Westi
Westi
Johnboy
KG Regular

I would say to Kate and Andy that there is no such thing as a daft question especially concerning certain phrases in gardening books. As beginners if you are not sure as to what to do with anything just ask away. If you do not understand any answer or part of an answer you might get please say so and a different wording might bring home the answer for you.
This forum over the years has helped very many beginners.
If you are a little shy on forum why not write to the originator of an answer you do not understand fully and ask he/she using the Private Messages part of the forum to explain further and this will spare your blushes!
Again I say there is no such thing as a daft question.
Sincerely,
JB.
dan3008
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:Again I say there is no such thing as a daft question..

what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of worm wood?

Sorry, couldn't resist
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Pa Snip
KG Regular

dan3008 wrote:
Johnboy wrote:Again I say there is no such thing as a daft question..

what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of worm wood?

Sorry, couldn't resist

Either a desire for more sugar in the cup or an invitation to a bush tucker trial

robo
KG Regular

Douse the root have to be powdered could you not just grate it
dan3008
KG Regular

robo wrote:Douse the root have to be powdered could you not just grate it

Allen Rickman would not approve...

For anyone who was wondering, that was a reference to harry's first potion lesson and harry potter and the philosiphers stone (or sorcerers stone if your american, or prefer the movies)

the correct answer is "A sleeping potion so powerful its known as the draught of living death"
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Johnboy
KG Regular

For those who do not think seriously about growing I suggest that when something is posted on this forum to try and help people who are new to growing your stupid remarks any anything but helpful.
I appreciate that I am considerably older than most people on this forum and for many of my years on this forum I had tried very hard to be helpful. I take it that my input is no longer required.
JB.
alan refail
KG Regular

Dear Johnboy,
Your input is always appreciated by those who respect the breadth of your knowledge about all aspects of growing.
It would be good if people could refrain from turning serious discussion into a joke to amuse themselves.
Be assured that the majority place great store by your contributions and will not wish to see you disappear from the forum.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic