Ravaged sweet corn plants

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Barry
KG Regular

At my new house, I don't have a greenhouse, something which is causing me a headache.

I have ordered a coldframe, which should arrive this week, but I am having a rotten time trying to harden off certain plants, which at my previous house would have either been sown indoors or in the greenhouse, then hardened off outside prior to planting out.

Now, I am having to raise the seedlings indoors and then put them out during the day, bringing them in when it gets cold at night.

My runner beans have taken this in their stride; however, I lost half my sweetcorn plants and now have them in a cooler part of the house, since putting them outdoors again will surely see the lot destroyed.

Nevertheless, even in previous years, when we have had cool springs, I have never seen some destruction metered out on sweetcorn plants before. Is this bad luck, or has it really been especially cool and windy this year?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi Barry

Don't know if others will agree but it sounds as if you have sown both sweetcorn and runners remarkably early even for the south east area

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

You are just far too early Barry. You must have been very lucky in the past not to lose the beans and sweetcorn because the weather isn't usually warm enough for them to grow without a check until well into May.
alan refail
KG Regular

Barry

I agree entirely with the last two posts. Your plants will probably come to nothing and I would advise simply; throw them away, sow again at a more appropriate time and learn from experience. Later sowings usually catch up with and even surpass those sown too early in poor conditions.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Pawty
KG Regular

I've made the same mistake this year. Started my sweetcorn too early - I think I got that ' I want to see things growing' feeling over a month ago.

To be fare, the plants look healthy - if not too healthy as they're over a foot tall and it's way too early to plant them out and are now pot bound and can't separate them. Whilst it doesn't sit well with me I think they'll be on the compost heap by the weekend and new ones started in some root trainers and individual pots which should be delivered tomorrow.

I am still reeling at last years sweetcorn - ravaged by mice/rats over one night. Quite upsetting and I think I said never again...... Obviously said in he heat of the moment....
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Hi Barry,

I'm on the Kent coast, and haven't thought about starting runner beans yet.
Plenty of time yet for those :)
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Westi
KG Regular

I've sown some sweetcorn but only about an 1 1/2 inches tall. Not know why I bothering really as have not had a year where I get a decent crop. Mice & birds strip the lot, although last year I think helped by resident bunny as well, but he's not around to assist this year!

But they do look nice growing & who knows, I may just beat them this year!

Westi
Westi
Barry
KG Regular

I'm all over the place since leaving my last house and allotment.

Nothing is in the right place and doing anything takes twice as long, since I am having to think about it :?

I don't have a green house, so my whole sowing and planting chain has gone to pot (excuse pun).

In former years, I would now have sweet corn and beans in my greenhouse, putting them out on sunnier days to toughen them up a bit.

By the second week in May EVERYTHING would be in the ground and growing. Sometimes, I lost stuff due to late frosts, but mostly my greenhouse would now be teeming with life of every kine.

My current garden is south facing and an asbolute sun trap, hence I thought I could get away with putting stuff out on the patio table. Alas, my sweet corn were not up to the challenge, although, as noted, the runner beans look about ready to swarm up poles and produce. I invariably try and beat the weather at this time of year and nearly always manage to do so. Unfortunately, the run of the green is not with me this time around, with cold winds hitting the plants savagely.

Nevertheless, more and more stuff will go into trays as back ups - just in case. And do I care if I have more food than I can eat? NO. I either freeze it or give it away - we are a new allotment, so currying favour with the locals is a must, since they hate the extra passing traffic we generate.

But I could die for a cold frame. Come on Wilkinson's, hurry up and get it delivered!!
Westi
KG Regular

There is another good thing about this time of year - plenty of time to re-sow! :wink:

Westi
Westi
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Barry,
As an indication to you we are sowing fodder maize this coming week and that will finish up at about 6ft tall with masses of cobbs. these cobbs may not be sweetcorn but if picked and cooked almost immediately they are very tasty. Maize is a very hungry crop and needs a lot of nourishment and stuck in pots defeats the object of growing them.
I think that sowing sweetcorn too early is a false move because if you have not got the right weather to plant out when they are ready when they eventually get planted out they take a massive check in growth which shows in your final crop.
I have found that it is better to be a little late in sowing than too early with most things because you ultimately miss the full potential of the crop. Plants do not like delays in growth.
JB.
Primrose
KG Regular

I do think that growing vegetables without the benefit of a greenhouse or cold frame requires a rather different technique in terms of seed sowing, AND A LOT MORE WILLPOWER TO CURB ONE'S IMPATIENCE (something after all these years I am still struggling with.) I still sow some things too early because of my impatience to get sowing on the first fine day and then often end up with leggy plants which are still too tender to plant outside.

If you really can't resist this, just sow a very small limited batch and save the main sowing until later. Then if you're lucky with mild weather you may get away with it and enjoy a few earlier crops,but as others have said, once the warmer weather comes it,s surprising how later sown crops soon catch up. Having to move plants in and out of the house every day can end up being a real pain.
Pawty
KG Regular

Quite like the advice being added to mr fothergills seed packs :
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (472.61 KiB) Viewed 4695 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (493.24 KiB) Viewed 4695 times
Primrose
KG Regular

How nice that a seed company has included an explanation for why their instructions are shown as they are. This is especially helpful to new gardeners in avoiding common mistakes. Knowing and understanding WHY things can go wrong is half the battle in becoming a more skilled grower.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic