Dynamiting rhubarb?!

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Barry
KG Regular

Right, I thought, I am going to dig up part of one of my exisiting rhubarb plants and move it to my new allotment. I don't want all the plant, since dividing rhubarb is supposed to be good for it and it regenerates alarmingly quickly.

There is, I told myself, no problem in digging up a root of rhubarb...

I could not get any of it to stop clinging onto the soil; my rhubarb was not for moving!

Absolutely amazing stuff. In the end, I used my spade to cut the softer centre out and that seems to have moved with not too many problems.

I have several other clumps that I want to dig out, divide and move, too. Any advice as to how to persuade it to come out? Dynamite, perhaps?!
Pa Snip
KG Regular

The secret with moving rhubarb is to do it when the crown is relaxed and not tense.

Therefore one should lift and divide it in the dark, just like your raspbarry so it doesn't know what is going on. :D

When it isn't wet or frosty dig wide around the crown, using a spade rather than fork. Exposing the an area of the crown Justas you would a tree root when trying to remove it.
Using the spade try to get under the crown and cut through under it if it will not lift. The other useful tool that may assist is a mattock

Do not forget when replanting by torch light, or any other light :) , don't replant the crown too deeply.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

I think rhubarb is renowned for its stubbornness to move. I once spent most of a morning trying to dig up one crown and split/divide it. I think you have to do it over winter while it's still dormant with no stalks or leaves, so you can see what you're doing.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:I think rhubarb is renowned for its stubbornness to move. I once spent most of a morning trying to dig up one crown and split/divide it. I think you have to do it over winter while it's still dormant with no stalks or leaves, so you can see what you're doing.

As Primrose suggests definitely during dormancy normally. However some varieties of rhubarb have now started this years growth and your situation is one of moving plots so you will have to take the risk. Try to divide the crown where it currently has least growth.
Don't expect much from the divided /replanted piece this year on the new plot. In fact pick very FEW , if any at all, this year.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

PICTURES TAKEN 29-2-16 , state of my rhubarb.

Barry, if I was like you in wanting to split crowns the Champagne shown below is now too far advanced, reckon I would just about get away with splitting Glaskin if it needed it (having been moved in last 4 months it doesn't )

Glaskins Perpetual.
This was moved latter part of last year from other side of plot. It had been moved in 2014 from a large pot it was growing in in our back garden, now just emerging

DSC_349626 web.jpg
DSC_349626 web.jpg (177.32 KiB) Viewed 4120 times

Believe this to be 'Champagne' , touch of last nights and recent frosts have hit leaves by looks of it.
Last split this in 2013, now have two clumps of it, this being the original
Since taking this part of plot on in 2012 we have always had early pulling off this variety
Current growth as of today

DSC_350131 web.jpg
DSC_350131 web.jpg (178.82 KiB) Viewed 4120 times

This is the current growth of the crown split undertaken in 2013, nicknamed Champagne the younger'

DSC_350030 web.jpg
DSC_350030 web.jpg (181.99 KiB) Viewed 4120 times

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

My rhubarb, Timperley Early.
Attachments
20160301_084216.jpg
20160301_084216.jpg (599.12 KiB) Viewed 4095 times
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Not a very good first attempt sorry. Taken out of the bedroom window :D

The green round it's base is the wheat in the hen hut cleanings mulch germinating.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Not a very good first attempt sorry. Taken out of the bedroom window :D
The rain, reflection and orientation don't help do they.

The green round it's base is the wheat in the hen hut cleanings mulch germinating.
Geoff
KG Regular

Never mind ideal conditions or stage of growth just move it, if you leave it you've lost it anyway.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Sorry having technical or is that technology problems.
Barry
KG Regular

Plumpudding, I don't want to worry you, but your house appears to have fallen over :D
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thought I'd got problems with my orientation - that explains it. Can you change it once it's posted?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:Thought I'd got problems with my orientation - that explains it. Can you change it once it's posted?

I believe you can by going to 'edit' on the post itself.

Delete the attachment

at this stage you might have to go back into edit or the page may stay on edit.

either way you can then attach the picture again the correct way up

Hope that makes sense

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thanks PaSnip.

Anyway, the plant grows absolutely huge and I chop bits off for friends when its dormant or just starting to regrow. It's well over 10 years old and hasn't shown any signs of weakening in the centre as they say. Fortunately it doesn't need moving, and is so productive I only need the one plant.

By the way, the green round it's base is wheat germinating out of the hen hut cleanings mulch.
20160301_145925.jpg
20160301_145925.jpg (940.42 KiB) Viewed 4051 times
Pa Snip
KG Regular

If that is a recent pic then that sure seems to be soaking up some goodness. Must have its own little micro climate there.

The regular contributors on here could pop round and have a crumble party, there would be enough by looks of it :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic