leaf miner: to treat or not

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

dan3008
KG Regular

Well this is a new one on me. I've got a serious infestation of leaf miner ... In the weeds...

Ok more information, the patio area has some broad leaved weeds growing in the cracks... While pulling them today, I noticed the leaf miners... So I having crushed all the ones I could see, I went to check the veg patch. Not a single sign of them :)

My question.
Fo I treat the veg patch 'to be safe'
Or
Do I just keep a close eye and save the costly treatment untill its needed
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Geoff
KG Regular

I might be wrong but I think leaf miners are often specific to particular species, for example there is one for Chrysants. So the ones in your weeds might not transfer to crops. If you know what the weed was you might be able to judge if it is a close relation to any of your vegetables.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Dan,
I take it you mean that you have noticed where the leaf miners have left their trail in leaves.
You have inspected your vegetable patch for visible signs and found nothing.
I would keep your vegetales strictly under observation and hope they do not appear.
They are not the worst of pests so the best thing is to not panic yourself into something you might later regret.
JB.
dan3008
KG Regular

Lots of miner trails in the leaves, and a large number of grubs at the ends of said trails

And yeh, no visable signs in the veg patch
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic