Fig tree for patio

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pawty
KG Regular

Hi, I've wanted to get a fig tree for ages. I'm after some advice on which variety to get as I want to grow it in a pot on the patio rather than in the ground. I know KG had an article on it a month or so ago, but has anyone grown one in a pot and has it been successful?

Thanks.
robo
KG Regular

I've never grown one in a pot but last year I planted 2 here in Spain one was like a half standard that has grown around eight inches in twelve months the other is a standard tree it was about a foot high it's now near three feet high they are a big sprawling trees think they would be too big for pots but I'm not an expert
Primrose
KG Regular

I grew a Brown Turkey variety in a pot for about 12 years. This is supposed to be the most successful variety here in the UK. Over the years it produced a number of figs the size of a silver five penny piece or slightly larger. None of them ever matured or ripened. A severe winter eventually killed it off. All rather disappointing.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've got two in pots but keep them in the greenhouse as the variety is too tender for outdoors (Bourjasotte grise) might have spelt it wrong :D I always get a small crop and they are delicious. I have grow Brown Turkey in a pot but it got rather large so it is now against a wall outside. It doesn't do particularly well but I think our winters are usually too cold and too long for the fruits to ripen properly.

They root very easily and I usually pot up a couple of good cuttings when I prune them as an insurance policy.
robo
KG Regular

They are prolific in Spain and the winters in the mountain where we are can be very cold even snow has been known to fall but in summer it hits over 50 deg I think it's the lack of sunshine rather than the cold
Pawty
KG Regular

Thanks for the advice - I'm going to take a look around the garden centres this weekend and see what they have. Trouble is, when I visit garden centres I end up buying more plants and seeds which I really don't need (I am a complete seedaholic!)
Westi
KG Regular

Pawty - you don't have to just go to the Garden Centre to be tempted! I even found some on the milk site. Bought 2 packs of seed discs, one herbs & one flowers. OK not much variety but reckon they are testing the water so to speak!

Suits me! Not planning to go cold turkey anytime! So far bought from Lottie, Lidl, In Excess, Waitrose, Market, 99p now £Shop, Wilkinson's, local church, Garden Centre - oops! Well maybe I can / should stop. Just wish I could get my ones over from Australia, but that Postmistress is not budging! :(

Westi
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

I have seeds I am never going to grow as no greenhouse - if anyone's starting out with a greenhouse and wants a few packs let me know and I'll put them in the post (some past the date but if they're free you can't be picky!). I still have Christmas stamps which need using.... (Culled more off the list than I thought ) or happy to swap for something unusual or something you think everyone should try?

So, question time. This months KG readers offer - £5.95 postage for 10 broccoli, 5 cauliflower, 3 cucumber, 3 squashplants. Is this a good deal? (most are easy to grow from seed). When are they likely to be delivered? I'm off to Alaska for a few weeks in June and wouldn't want them sat in the Royal Mail parcel depot.

Westi - not sure what seeds I can bring back from there??

Paula
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Pawty

I don't use my greenhouse that much really. I grow some toms, peppers, cucumbers, chillies but put these same onesoutside on the allotment as well. (Including the ones recommended for greenhouse growing). I have built a wee frame down there with 3 polycarbonate sheets found at the dump and donated to me. It works quite well and I get good crops, obviously a bit later & smaller than the greenhouse ones. Couldn't be without my propagator though for these seedlings, but that is a basic model & also donated.

You never know what seeds you will find anywhere in the world, so have a peep if you get the opportunity! My friends bring back seeds from their travels from all sorts of places, but mostly same companies as here or France, but just different varieties.

But to your question - excellent price for that many plants, but you are going to have a lot of cucumbers & squash if the weather is kind. Can you contact the company & ask them if they can send later if the normal delivery is going to coincide with the time you are away? Worth a try maybe.

Westi
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Well, I visited a couple of garden centres - not a fig tree in sight! I did however get new pots to replace the ones which didn't make it through the winter along with some herb plants - catmint for my boys, mint 'grapefruit' for my Pimms!

So, I ordered a brown turkey fig plant from DT Browns. And because I was paying postage for this anyway I entered the code for the readers offer mentioned above - as you only pay postage once, I got the plants completely free - I don't want the squash so will donate these to neighbours. Win win!
Pawty
KG Regular

So, here it is, the long awaited fig tree planted in John Innes no 2 (as recommended by Hilliers) (split bag so only £1!).

The instructions said 'after unpacking, inspect your plant' - any ideas what I should look for? It looks a bit like a twig, but the roots did look alive.

Thanks
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (372.7 KiB) Viewed 5269 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (369.47 KiB) Viewed 5269 times
peter
KG Regular

Looks distinctly like a graft union.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

Lovely stick Pawty! Hope you didn't pay too much! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The temptation of that would be too much for my dog!

Westi
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Update on the said fig tree...... Still no buds or signs of life .... Husband said I was impatient. Two emails later and a new fig tree is on its way.

Westi - does your dog still want a new stick??
Pawty
KG Regular

Well, here's the replacement fig tree - spot the difference competition coming up!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (330.39 KiB) Viewed 5222 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (600.96 KiB) Viewed 5222 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic