Garlic

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elen
KG Regular

Last summer I harvested, dried and stored in the shed a good crop of Garlic . Since starting to use them in cooking finding they are going soft & rotten. What has gone wrong ?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Storage suitability is dependent upon the type of garlic.

Hardneck or softneck varieties will have variable storage times
If you harvested the garlic last summer had you planted it in early 2015 or overwintered it from 2014.

The other factor, all to easy to blame but most likely having an effect, is the weather.
Like many parts of the country Dorset has had a combination of rain and mild temperatures.

Even the growers of the forced rhubarb in the Yorkshire triangle are suffering because they have not had the frost
Despite the amount of rain it has been too mild

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Monika
KG Regular

What varieties did you plant, Elen? Softneck varieties tend to keep better than hardneck ones. I also find that keeping them as cool as possible is best - our garage is unheated but dry and even in this current mild winter my softneck varieties are still firm and very useable. They will start sprouting by April/May.
Elen
KG Regular

To Monica and Pa snip, thanks for your replies. I will try again this year :-)
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Elen

Not sure if there is a variety called tenacity, but that's what you need :D

Have you planted this years garlic yet

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pawty
KG Regular

I've grown garlic for a few years - husband loves cooking with fresh garlic and it's not until you grow it that you realise how different the different varieties taste. Some are much more smokey. Unfortunately none of last years survived. I think they got infected by onion rot. So, for the first time in years I'm having to buy garlic - not the same. Luckily we're not far from the Isle of Wight, who are one of the biggest producers, and one of the farms have a stall at the farmers market.

Fingers crossed - I've grown this years in a different area in case it was onion rot, as I won't be able to grow anything onion like again there for many years.

Never had a problem with storage. Make sure you dry them completely and clean them. I always remove the outer skin. i then plait them and hang in the kitchen. The only problem in terms of storage is that around May those that haven't been used have stared to grow.

Good luck with this years.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic