New varieties for a new year!

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Hi Pawty

Doing the Frilly sprouts too - amazed at the growth, over my head now & I'm 5'6"! I really thought with that growth some would be ready, they are there but nowhere near ready! I like them enough as a structural plant on the plot over winter I might just plant them again even if they disappoint in taste, but I am a fan of kale so expecting good things from these guys! Even the cabbage whites aren't that keen on decimating them!

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I only have one frilly sprout plant left the slugs have eaten all the others. It is growing well though. I've no idea why they left that one.
dan3008
KG Regular

Mmm chickpeas sound good. Oi like them from a tin, so od imagine fresh would be even better.
As for cucamelons, they've been on my wish list a while now, just need to actually get some seeds
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Pawty
KG Regular

I was always told never to save and grow seed from courgettes or squashes. Does anyone know if this is the same for cucumbers?

If not Dan, I would be happy to try and save and dry some cucumelons seed and send them to you?

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

I was wrong about the frilly sprouts, plant second from the end had some today. Had to release my artwork of netting to weed & clear dropped leaves and there they were, only on this one plant with them ready. Been there a while as some had even blown but I had missed them, but can still salvage the leaves. Having a good look at them you can see their heritage, when smaller there is the folded button leaves from Brussel Sprouts, but the ones that had blown were just like mini kale with their stalk.

Westi

PTDC0181.JPG
PTDC0181.JPG (234.87 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic