Chrysanthemums.

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

snooky
KG Regular

First real try at seriously growing chrysanthemums and on doing a search of the Forum couldn't find an answer to what happens now.Do I lift the stools and store in the shed?Do I leave them in the ground and take a chance on the weather?Conflicting advice on Google,so I thought-"ask the Forum".What to do?
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Geoff
KG Regular

Mine are sprays. Cut them down today, lifted them and boxed them up in a frost free light shed. Grow fresh from cuttings next year, I think it will be the fourth season since I bought them next year.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

My dad did the same as Geoff. I think he kept them almost but not quite dry in store.
Geoff
KG Regular

I agree, let them almost dry out. I must add some slug pellets to mine, saw some egg clusters while I was digging them up.
retropants
KG Regular

we cut ours down and dig them up then plant them in the cold greenhouse border to overwinter. if it is forecast to be mighty cold, we give them an extra layer of protection. Most regenerate in the spring. (we are in Middlesex) the border is quite dry.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The trouble with trying to leave them in the ground is, if you get a really cold and wet Winter, a lot of them will rot and the ones that do get through the Winter, get attacked by slugs as the new shoots are developing under ground.

So if you can lift and store them over the Winter, it is by far the best option.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

I have usually done like Geoff and PP and stored just the stools in the unheated greenhouse, but two or three years ago I didn't get round to it and kept them in the ground, covered with double fleece. The problem with doing that was that the new shoots in spring were horribly nibbled up by slugs and snails, so I would certainly lift them.
Geoff
KG Regular

It sounds like some of you store them then replant rather than taking cuttings, does that work well?
Monika
KG Regular

That is certainly what I do, Geoff. I only want a few plants because of space restraints, so just keep them whole. They are the Pennine strain of hardy sprays, by the way.
snooky
KG Regular

Thanks everyone for your replies.I shall lift the stools this weekend and dry them off before storing them over winter in the shed.I will re-plant the stools next year and also take cuttings next Spring of my wife's favourite colours.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic